Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 or EQ6 syntrek??

jjqpr

Hi Guys, can anyone explain to me the main differences between these mounts? I know the neq6 has a counterweight bar (which might be useful if mounting the 250px I don't know?? But will the cheaper EQ6 syntrek still be OK for me?

I intend to do observing and some eyepiece projection AP through the 250px on a mount, and also just mount a DSLR to it when not using the scope too for wider AP.

Theres the more expensive AZ EQ6-GT but I think thats a bit out of budget being £4-500 more than these 2...

I'm not TOO bothered about GOTO , mainly the tracking...will any of these do a good enough job?

Finally I keep reading about dovetails and stuff, will I need seperate things to mount the 250PX and my DSLR?

Mount wise the Syntrek and SynScan are exactly the same. Both have the EQ6 Pro Mount, including counterweight bar! Where did you get it from that the Syntrek Version doesn´t have a counterweight bar??

The only difference is that the SynScan Version comes With the SynScan handset, offering full GoTo functionality.

Thanks guys, I was just browsing the FLO website and I guess misread what they were saying...you're right though looks like both have the counterweight... the NEQ6 also mentions "dual-saddle to suit Skywatcher 75mm and Skywatcher 45mm (Losmandy-style and Vixen-style) dovetails" which I don't quite understand?

Just to get my head round this, in either case what other bits (dovetails etc) will I need for mountinga  250px, and a canon dslr?

And of course which would you buy?? Is it worth the extra £100 for the NEQ6 version over the syntrek? Is the much more expensive AZ model worth saving up for? WHat are the advantages of having AZ that would make it worth £4-500 more expensive?

Many thanks you guys are so good for helping us beginners!!

Thanks guys, I was just browsing the FLO website and I guess misread what they were saying...you're right though looks like both have the counterweight... the NEQ6 also mentions "dual-saddle to suit Skywatcher 75mm and Skywatcher 45mm (Losmandy-style and Vixen-style) dovetails" which I don't quite understand?

Just to get my head round this, in either case what other bits (dovetails etc) will I need for mountinga  250px, and a canon dslr?

And of course which would you buy?? Is it worth the extra £100 for the NEQ6 version over the syntrek? Is the much more expensive AZ model worth saving up for? WHat are the advantages of having AZ that would make it worth £4-500 more expensive?

Many thanks you guys are so good for helping us beginners!!

difficult to say. I like the GoTo functionality. Tho you can get it With EQMod on the Syntrek Mount, but that requires you to hook up a computuer/Laptop to the Mount.

For me, when doing strickly observing sessions / going to a darksite, it´s too much fuss carying around the Laptop all the time.

The New AZ-EQ Mount is very Nice. As you can put the Mount in AZ mode during observing sessions. In AZ mode it´s much easier to align and Control the Mount and scope. (Hence why the Celestron fork mounted CPC Scopes are so popular). So alignment is much quicker and easier and you off watching the skies much quicker.

Very Nice when you need to transport the Scope in and out of the house each session.

It´s a personal decision if the extra cash is worth it to you.

I am currently debating myself between the NEQ6 SynScan and the New AZ-EQ6 hehe.

Hi and thanks! I am getting more confused now :D What is the EZ-EQ mount is that something else again?? Thanks :)

I believe it's a typo, and that the OP meant AZ-EQ ;).

For full GoTo functionality for the Syntrek, you can just plug the mount into your computer and control via planetarium software :). I believe you need one of these though:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

Oh sorry I should have realised that was a typo...too early in the morning for me :) thanks for the tips, I think it will be the NEQ6 for me then as a middle ground! So what extras do I need to fit the 250px to the NEQ6 please?

Thanks guys, and sorry for another question but what difference does the length of the dovetail make as it comes in 3 lengths? And will my DSLR fit to the mount without any further accessories? Expensive this AP lark isn't it!! :D

Short 15cm:  £11.90  Medium 21cm:  £14.90  Long 33.5 cm:  £17.90

Thanks guys, and sorry for another question but what difference does the length of the dovetail make as it comes in 3 lengths? And will my DSLR fit to the mount without any further accessories? Expensive this AP lark isn't it!! :D

Short 15cm:  £11.90  Medium 21cm:  £14.90  Long 33.5 cm:  £17.90

It's just the size of the dovetail, so you can adjust balance if you're putting heavy equipment on etc. A longer one is better if it fits the OTA (which it will for a 250PX!).

I think when the EQ6 synscan (GOTO handset) was renamed the NEQ6, Skywatcher added a counterweight extension bar and a dual saddle plate. At some point since then, the EQ6 Syntrek has also got them - in fact it's labelled as NEQ6 and the box is exactly the same other than it has a different handcontroller.

I have an NEQ6 (Synscan). I have never used the hand controller, I could have saved myself £100 by buying the other one. I use EQMOD and a laptop. You can always buy a handcontroller later if you decide you want one.

To fit your scope to a mount, you will need a dovetail and mounting rings:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/skywatcher-dovetail-mounting-plates.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/tube-rings/skywatcher-telescope-tube-rings.html

It's a big scope, get a long dovetail.

To fit a DSLR directly to a mount you need an adapter - something like this:

http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accDovetails

(scroll down to "Vixen Style Photo Dovetail")

To fit a DSLR to your scope (to take pictures through it), you need a T-ring, like this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/t-rings.html

You can also fit your camera on top of your scope - the skywatcher rings have an adapter built in.

FLO tell me the syntrek is single saddle (vixen) only, I don't know what this means exactly? Could anyone explain and tell me if its worth paying the extra for the NEQ6 knowing the EQ6 is single vixen saddle and no GOTO, should I just pay the extra £100 and be done with it?

FLO tell me the syntrek is single saddle (vixen) only, I don't know what this means exactly? Could anyone explain and tell me if its worth paying the extra for the NEQ6 knowing the EQ6 is single vixen saddle and no GOTO, should I just pay the extra £100 and be done with it?

The saddle is what holds the scope, the fact it's Vixen just says the type of connection it is.

Thank you, so is there a benefit to this dual saddle I read about on the NEQ6?

All it means is you can use either Losmandy or Vixen dovetails with no additonal adapters as opposed to just Vixen.

Losmandy dovetails are, I believe, more stable than Vixen. Certainly something to consider for a heavy OTA such as the 250PX.

Losmandy adapters are bigger and more stable - but not when used with skywatcher rings that have a single central mounting screw.

If you were really serious you'd change the skywatcher puck (for an ADM one, for example)

If you are lucky, you might find the Syntrek comes with a dual saddle anyway.

Doesn't the scope come with rings & a dovetail? The cheapest Mount option is to buy the syntrek version & run it off of eqmod if you want GOTO. Don't forget to upgrade the altitude bolts as well.

I have just upgraded from a cg5 GT to a AZ eq6 GT. I wanted encoders, didn't have to worry about the bolts & it also has belt rather than gear drives. It also has a dual mount puck. I can also set up in AZ mode for visual if I want which should save a little time. It is basically a neq6 with all the faults addressed. Worth the extra money? Only you can decide that.

Archived