NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Io and GRS transit

DaveNicko

At the risk of adding yet another "I've seen the GRS" post... I've just seen the GRS! And a transit of Io to boost. That's two firsts for me tonight!

The seeing wasn't great, but just enough to make it out between the gaps in the clouds. I thought there was a dust speck on the planet at first before I realised what it was, and then confirming later.

Very happy :-)

Dave.

At the risk of adding yet another "I've seen the GRS" post... I've just seen the GRS! And a transit of Io to boost. That's two firsts for me tonight!

The seeing wasn't great, but just enough to make it out between the gaps in the clouds. I thought there was a dust speck on the planet at first before I realised what it was, and then confirming later.

Dave.

Hi Dave, yes I was watching that as well. It was as if they were racing each other to see who could cross the face of the planet first, think the GRS just about managed to keep its nose out in front to take first place. I couldn't make out any shaddow, did you? Like you say the seeing was pretty poor.

James

Hi Dave, yes I was watching that as well. It was as if they were racing each other to see who could cross the face of the planet first, think the GRS just about managed to keep its nose out in front to take first place. I couldn't make out any shaddow, did you? Like you say the seeing was pretty poor.

James

Yeah, it was good to watch. I could just make out the GRS, and the tiny shadow of Io to the bottom right in the newt.

Lovely sight!

Dave.

Really glad you were able to see the GRS and shadow transit tonight. Jupiter is putting on a lovely show this month and I'm sure on another night you guys will be deservedly blessed with kinder skies. Lovely sketches as well, Nick and thank you for sharing them with us. I love the way that each of us have different ways of recording our cosmic visits, some with more formality, some with a whizz bang of inspiration, and so on. I've just nipped down for a cup of coffee and will pop back up on the roof top a bit later to hopefully see if I can twease out that supernova in the middle of a city. Quite a test if there was one :smiley: A bit like splitting tricky double stars only different :grin:

Dave.

Awesome catch on 2 new firsts!Now I'm all pumped up here now to try to see the M82 Supernova...... :grin: That GRS really comes alive sometimes,patience is a virtue.The other night Jupiter was wicked crisp here...and the colour of the bands....looking forward to another report,congratulations DaveNicko

Went out as soon as some of the clouds cleared last night and saw the SN, Then Jupiter drew me like a magnet.

Saw the shadow of IO first, the teased -out the moon crossing slightly behind, then Noticed the GRS.

- Is it me, or does the GRS look slightly smaller than usual ? I know it has been playing up these last couple of years and I

wonder if the outer rim has gotten lighter again making it look through the scope as if it has lost size?

It might have just been my seeing, like the chaps say the contrast was'nt the best here either.

Mick.

Thanks all for the comments! I managed to see the S/N too, so three firsts last night!

- Is it me, or does the GRS look slightly smaller than usual ? I know it has been playing up these last couple of years and I

wonder if the outer rim has gotten lighter again making it look through the scope as if it has lost size?

It might have just been my seeing, like the chaps say the contrast was'nt the best here either.

Mick.

This being the first time I have seen it I don't know. However I think the seeing had some say in it last night...

Dave.

Archived