Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thoughts on the Q70 32mm eyepiece

void

I was interested in hearing people experiences or thoughts on the Q70 32mm eye piece. Its is something i have the opportunity to pick up at a highly discounted price.

I am waiting for my new scope (150pds) to come through and was wondering if it would be a worth while extra.

Is your scope this one ?   -    http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/SkyWatcher_Explorer_150PDS_EQ3-2_Reflector_Telescope.html

That scope does have a 2" focuser, so the Q70 32mm will fit, and give a lovely wide field low power view.

Only thing is, the less expensive wide field eyepieces will be a little fuzzy towards the edge of the field of view.

A clubmate had the 26mm, and he found just what I've mentioned, but he just accepted that, and enjoyed the view.

HTH, Ed.

Hi Brian, Yes, this is the scope (amazing bit of kit for the size).

I have read in a number of places people commenting about the edge of the field of view (some saying its okay others not). So with the focal length of this telescope i should be getting around 23x/24x magnification which should be nice in a wide field of view.

The 26mm Q70 is not a great eyepiece. I had one with my Meade Lightbridge 12" F/5 dob and it showed loads of astigmatism in the outer half of the field of view plus its focal plane position meant that it had to be hanging out of the drawtube to come to focus. 

The 32mm may well be better but I think I'd "try before I buy" if possible and don't pay too much for it.

The 26mm Q70 is not a great eyepiece. I had one with my Meade Lightbridge 12" F/5 dob and it showed loads of astigmatism in the outer half of the field of view plus its focal plane position meant that it had to be hanging out of the drawtube to come to focus. 

The 32mm may well be better but I think I'd "try before I buy" if possible and don't pay too much for it.

Thanks John, yes I remember now the outfocus issue, the Q70 26mm came with a clubmate's 8" Meade Lightbridge Dob (since discontinued) I think he used an extension tube to bring it to focus.

And that brings up another point - the SW 150 PDS that the opening post mentions - I think it has a shorter tube to bring the focal plane further out for imaging - that combined with the Q70s need for lots of outfocus could mean LOADS of outfocus needed for the Q70 with that scope.

That's if I understood everything correctly........

Regards, Ed.

Thanks for your insight John. The only reason I am asking is that I have the opportunity to purchase the eyepiece at a fraction of its normal cost but was more interested in what people thought of this EP.

Partly because the box has been locked in a display cabinet for 6 months.

Archived