Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

astro imaging using radial SCT guider

Well, there's a thing.

I have one of these gizmo's but havent really had the patience to test it properly.

The guy at David Hinds shop, not David himself, says that the trick is to get the camera focussed first, the old fashioned way, however you usually do it. Then, by dropping the eyepiece in the slot and adjusting how far you insert it (which is how you focus it anyway), you can get the two appropriate focal wotsits (plane, length? dunno) matched.

Next step is to mark the EP at that setting. Next time you should be able to drop that EP in first, use it for focussing (easier than camera) and then the camera should also be focussed.

I dunno if this is true, haven't had chance to test it, am just passing on what I have heard, but it seems to make sense. The celestron instructions dont mention it, apart from saying that you need to adjust the position of the EP in the holder to attain focus in line with the camera.

Of course, if you take pics with and without focal reducers etc, then each setting would need marking I guess.

Do you live nearby? (Coventry) You can come over and have a look if you like. (If you happen to be a leggy busty redhead with dreamy green eyes, then please dress as a man with a beard. I'm on my final warning........) :D

Cheers

TJ

Archived