NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter with DSLR & 200p Dob

Bobby1970

Thanks for the replies guys. I used a 2x barlow with a 25mm eyepiece fastened to a T adaptor then to the camera. Used a feature Sony calls "clear image zoom" on the camera, its basically a fancy digital zoom. Rattled off about 15-20 shots and combined them in some software called HDRTist which is meant for HDR photos but seems to work ok on my iMac.  Bit of processing in Gimp but thats it. I am quite pleased with it considering the limitations of my set up. 

Can you use that digital zoom in video mode? You could take a video and load that into registax like the other planetary imagers (you might beed to convert the file type in PiPP first though). Just a thought.

But yes, amazing results given you limitations, which don't actually appear to be a limitation!

I've got a mate with a newtonian on a dob base who wants to do planetary so i will email him this thread.

James

Can you use that digital zoom in video mode? You could take a video and load that into registax like the other planetary imagers (you might beed to convert the file type in PiPP first though). Just a thought.

But yes, amazing results given you limitations, which don't actually appear to be a limitation!

I've got a mate with a newtonian on a dob base who wants to do planetary so i will email him this thread.

James

I have got registax and DSS running in Windows using VMFusion on my Mac but they don't seem to work correctly. Keep getting errors when trying to load a a video file in.

Yes i can use the digital zoom in video mode so the next logical step will be to maybe have a go with that and see if i can get some better results. 

Use Registax for planetary; it might be the video type is wrong (pipp will convert it to an avi), also my registax doesn't like files being dropped on it, you have to select them from the file menu. For others an older cersion of registax (5) works more relaibly than version 6; neither will be happy if the file is several gigabytes (again you can use PIPP to make the file smaller by cropping the frame and only out putting the best say 75% of frames). Lots of avenues to try.

Good luck.

James

Use Registax for planetary; it might be the video type is wrong (pipp will convert it to an avi), also my registax doesn't like files being dropped on it, you have to select them from the file menu. For others an older cersion of registax (5) works more relaibly than version 6; neither will be happy if the file is several gigabytes (again you can use PIPP to make the file smaller by cropping the frame and only out putting the best say 75% of frames). Lots of avenues to try.

Good luck.

James

Thanks for the tips. Will give PIPP a go then Registax as suggested. 

Archived