NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help and opinions needed!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a Newbie to the site and need a bit of help! Sorry if this turns into a bit of an essay too. :eek:

After many years off the subject, I have decided it's about time I rekindled my old hobby, trouble is which scope to go for, my old telescope which was handmade for me as a kid around 1988 but was always reliable has now seen better days and not up to the job anymore.  I have spent the last two weeks looking at different equipment and I am totally at a loss.

Apart from general viewing I really would like to get into the astrophotography side too with my DSLR and/or my webcam which I was given years ago and never really used (spc900nc)

I also really want a GOTO to make the most of viewing time and objects rather than manual like I have done a few years back.

Now the trouble I have (apart from budget) is I am only 5ft tall I have looked at Skywatcher 200p on HEQ5 mount but looking at them next to people in what pics I can find, I really cant see me reaching let alone lugging it around or transporting it!

Also the other thing is storage, which I think would be another problem with the HEQ5 mount.

With the photography side I'm not looking to get shots worthy of astrophotographer of the year but something I can say ' Hey I did that' :smiley:

I was looking at the Nexstar SE6, or the Skywatcher 200p flextube dob GOTO, I know the mounts are not ideal for DSO but for what I want would these be ok?

Budget wise would be around £1k. I know I'm asking the earth for my limited budget and I may have to compromise on a thing or two.

So any suggestions what to go for would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to get it wrong and regret my decision!

Many thanks in advance and thanks for reading.

Hi and welcome to SGL! :) I'm a newbie too so don't worry, great advice on here. I maybe wrong but I'm sure I've read somewhere that dob mounts are not the thing to go for with AP. People with better knowledge on here will advise though.

I know what you mean about the height / weight thing. I'm 5ft 3" and damn they don't half weigh some! I can manage the EQ3 Pro goto mount though it's on the heavy side for sure. Height wise I don't have a problem with these mounts, I've not extended the legs at all and I can reach the EP no problem. Might be worth popping to a dedicated shop somewhere or to a local group to see a wide variety of mounts to "measure up" ;) There will be one near you somewhere (where are you in the uk?) From my experience, great bunch of people, full of advice and more than willing to let you have a play to be sure before you buy.

Looking for local astronomy groups isn't a bad suggestion wherever someone is -although their definition of 'local' might need to be stretched!

I think perhaps you might be best of looking at a a telescope design like a Cassegrain - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassegrain_reflector - the eyepiece location on the telescope might be more suitable for you. There are other considerations to make of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firstly, the SW200P is a good scope. Many people on here (and on other forums) have one, and for very good reasons.

The dob mount is not the way to go for AP however. Though it would still be possible, a equatorial mount is much better suited. I'm just 1" taller than you and yes, it can be a bit of a stretch to see though the eyepiece; the telescope can be rotated in its cradle though, or use a step-stool like I sometimes do :D

In my case, instead of forking out about £300 for the full GOTO system (added after buying the mount) I bought the motordrives for my EQ5, then the AstroEQ box from a guy named Tom Carpenter. AstroEQ works through a laptop running Stallarium or Cartes du Ciel, which will control your 'scope far better than any GOTO system will do.

Motors cost £100, AstroEQ £90.

Tom Carpenter can be found at http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/index.php using the name TCWorld.....

The Philips SPC900NC is a good cam that can very easily be modified for AP. Basically you carefully take off the focussing ring, remove the lens and then attach a 1.25" adaptor to fit your eyepiece holder. Eyepiece adaptors are readily available from Amazon or Fleabay.

There are very good freebie programs that a lot of APers use such as Sharpcap, DeepSkyStacker, RegiStax for imaging, and there are plenty of tutorials on Astronomy Shed that will take you through AP using the 900NC :)

Hope that lot helps ;)

John

Archived