Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need advice - best way to care for damp equipment?

What you are doing is probably as good as any.

The big question is do/should you wipe off any moisture to prevent a residue forming on the surfaces.

Some will say yes, some no.

Myself I cannot have an optical surface with residue marks on them, sort of gets to me.

Personally, I feel the same way as Ronin,  My C8 got rained on a few days ago, the drops dried to leave a dusty looking residue. this made my teeth itch knowing it was there. My observation was cut short last night as the dust marks provided condensation nuclei and the corrector plate misted up in no time which my dew heater then couldnt shift even on full output.

I used filtered distilled water and 99% Isopropyl alcohol mixed at about 70:30 ratio sprayed on with an atomiser bottle, left to soak and mopped up by dabbing it BP grade cotton wool with no pressure applied to the cotton wool other than its own weight. 

At home (rightly or wrongly) I leave everything in our unheated conservatory or the cold spare room overnight with lens caps off and the next morning when they appear dry I then move them into a warmer room to finish drying. So far haven't got any marks that way.

Archived