NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baby Tripod for AstroTrac Setup

justletgo

Hello all,

I'm a total newcomer to astrophotography and have read extensively in this forum about equipment choices - so thx a bunch for all the great advice. Up to now I have decided upon the following components of a highly portable setup for travel:

- Canon 6D
- Canon EF 200mm 1:2,8 L II USM
- AstroTrac Mount incl. Polar Scope, Wedge and Head

What really keeps me thinking is the right choice for a tripod. Everything that's light and portable looks too shaky for my taste, so I came up with the following idea: Suppose you do all the focusing and framing using live view on an iPad, and you don't need the tripod for any other purpose. Wouldn't it be possible to go with a baby tripod like the following?

http://www.gitzo.us/series-3-aluminum-systematic-2-section-baby-tripod-w-g-lock

Am I missing something? Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated
justletgo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about polar aligning - you won't be able to do that off the ipad.

The mount looks pretty expensive. Why not try an AZ3 tripod for a start - it is maybe 1/10 the price and pretty sturdy.

The 6D has WLAN capability that can transmit live view to an iPad, so no crawling in the mud ... unless there is something I missed!

Cool!  I did not know that. 

Agnes has mentioned polar alignment, will you be doing long exposure?

I would love to go with something like the AZ3, but unfortunately this is not easy to transport by plane. Let alone drag up a mountain, which I intend to do.

Yes, polar aligning might be an issue, thx for pointing that out.

You will need to be able to look through the polarscope of the AT to polar align so a muddy head might well happen ;)

As for a tripod, I am sure you can get a sturdy one for a fraction of the price.

I used an Amvona (IIRC) which is a knock of manfrotto.

For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-AT-858-B-AMVONA-DYNATRAN-SLR-DIGITAL-CAMERA-TRIPOD-AND-CARRYING-BAG-/190696035879

Took a good week or so to arrive, but worth every penny.

I dragged my AZ3 to Nepal and back, so it can be done. I cursed the thing all the way up the Himalayas and back down again. And the flexible slo-mo controls that I forgot to pack into hold baggage caused a security alert in Sharjah.

I would love to go with something like the AZ3, but unfortunately this is not easy to transport by plane. Let alone drag up a mountain, which I intend to do.

Yes, polar aligning might be an issue, thx for pointing that out.

I have just been swatting up on the AstroTrac Mount.  You can get the polar scope...a snip at £103.   The only other thing that I noticed is the arm, it looks long.  is there an occasion when it will be pointing down?  If so this may be a problem that close to the ground...but what is the extension max for the tripod you are looking at?

I have been thinking about this as well. Here is a screenshot from somebody handling a similar setup on a tripod with legs not extended. Looks like it's not an issue:

post-34767-0-86936300-1390083602.jpg

There are other options for mini tripods, e.g.

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=249

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/macro-tripods/minipod/

Would love to hear from somebody who has experience using such a setup with an AstroTrac. I've been searching all over the web, but couldn't find any lead.

Cheers

This is an interesting topic travel kit for astrophotography.  Trying to get the best setup for the least bulk and weight is something that can ( I suppose) be learnt by listening to others experiences?

I have been thinking about this as well. Here is a screenshot from somebody handling a similar setup on a tripod with legs not extended. Looks like it's not an issue:

attachicon.gifastrotrac.jpg

There are other options for mini tripods, e.g.

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=249

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/macro-tripods/minipod/

Would love to hear from somebody who has experience using such a setup with an AstroTrac. I've been searching all over the web, but couldn't find any lead.

Cheers

Is that a Manfrotto tripod?

No idea about this particular tripod.

But you're right about the ultimative travel setup. I have also been thinking about a Takahashi FS-60CB instead of the Canon lens, but I guess that will have to wait until later. Anyway, any thoughts on the ultimative travel setup, that will go into a backpack will be greatly appreciated.

Use a Manfrotto studio tripod and the small manfrotto geared head with mine in preference to the astrotrac pier and wedge when mounting a camera, but tend to use the wedge when mounting a telescope and the pier if the ground is level. If the ground is uneven I use the tripod.

I wouldn't say that is a mini tripod, just one without the legs extended which is how I always use mine.

Looks pretty much the same setup as mine except I use a ball head on top.

So, you do crawl in the mud to polar align your kit and it works just fine? Just tell me and I'll do this as well :laugh:

Just thinking about Polar aligning.  If there is a home position with the mount I do not see why you can't polar align through the camera?

You have to polar align the tracker. The camera sits on a head with no "home position".

I don't get?  Surely there is a way to align the camera with the home position?

Here's a youtube video thats shows handling of the kit. At 2:00 min into the video you can see how you point the camera using the head.

I don't believe there is something like a home position to the head.

My setup is similar to the photo/video posted above however I use a full sized Gitzo series 5 systematic tripod (which I use for other purposes as well). It isn't light but it is rock solid which is a requirement for my usual focal length. It is a 4 section tripod and I usually extend only 2 of them to keep it fairly low, but will be a fair bit taller than a mini tripod. With no legs extended you have to be careful regarding stability, especially with a large lens like he and I use as it can topple over easier if not extended and everything isn't yet balanced (mainly during setting up and tearing down).

For 200mm f/2.8 it isn't as much of an issue however as mentioned above, being on the ground trying to polar align is not fun. I have done it in the past and even in dry weather it is unpleasant. I am in the process of making a right angle finder for the polar scope which should help to some degree. You can get a rough alignment and then do a drift alignment.

It can be an issue carrying all this kit around, and in the photo above I am sure that it is a fairly large backpack he would be using (probably too large for airline cabin baggage and probably overweight as well). I usually check as much as I can into the hold (head, weights, tripod, remotes, etc.) and take the camera, AstroTrac and the lens with me my hand luggage.

As a guide to the above,

0.7kg = Camera (7D)

2.0kg = Tripod

1.0kg = AstroTrac

1.0kg = AstroTrac Counterweight Bar

0.7kg = Large Counterweight

1.0kg = AstroTrac Head

1.0kg = AstroTrac Wedge

2.5kg = Canon 200mm f/2 Lens, (my 500mm lens is 3.8kg).

2.5kg = Backpack

Batteries, Cable, Polar Scope plus any other bits and bobs...it all adds up. The AstroTrac Pier does look quite interesting for people not needing a tripod and helps with making things a bit more compact and transportable.

To add to his weight he has an additional camera as well as some sort of camera rail for the video effects...

Thank you for the detailed feedback. When I do the math for my intended kit, it adds up to a little less than 10kg. It is a lot to carry around in a backpack, and that's exactly why I'm raising the issue with the tripod. I had a look into the Gitzo systematic tripods and found the GT4552TS. Boy, this is a nice one. And boy, is it expensive ...

Archived