NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

School visit

I did one a while ago to a bunch of cubs doing their astronomy badge, I loved it, some of the questions they asked were quite clever. I made it very simple, thankfully during the evening Orion was showing herself quite well indeed, so giving them some information on Betelgeuse and its size in relation to our own sun went down well, as did letting them have a look at the nebula to see the gas cloud and the birth of new stars.

I also had a shed load of old astronomy mags that I gave away to them all so that they could read up on some things and look at simple star charts. I had to watch my scope quite a lot as with any youngsters, they soon got bored of it all and wanted to play about, needless to say I gave a big debate on never looking at the sun etc, but overall it was made simple, and easy on their minds so to speak. Talking about distance to them at that age is pointless, but it is surprising how much they take in too. Have a great time, it is really rewarding indeed.

start by asking them what they know already. what's in the sky? simple things.anything they know about space. movies. brainstorm this and I would keep it very simple. I've taught French to this age group and about 30 mins would suffice really as they get distracted. maybe could bring colouring sheet too of stars and planets. they'd enjoy that and then get practical and leave them look at equipment maybe in pairs while the rest colour?

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Tapatalk

Depending on how many youngsters are involved it might be prudent to have an assistant to keep an eye on your gear.

If you intend to observe I would suggest not taking expensive eyepieces as the little ones like to put their sticky fingers over everything.

Have fun.

I do regular talks at one of my local primary schools and find they are great fun to do and the kids love them.

I tend to do a short PowerPoint presentation including images about the things you can see naked eye - planets, constellations etc then describe what you can see with a scope. I also include some facts and figures but in a way that is more relatable than just the numbers - like saying the Moon is 250000 miles away (which won't mean much) then asking them to guess how long it would take to get there in a car at 70mph. Answer 142 days between 4 and 5 months so if you left now you'd miss Easter and arrive at the start of summer.

After the talk I usually show them a few age appropriate video's that I've downloaded to my laptop as all the classrooms now have smartboards (not a piece of chalk in sight these days!!) I just connect to that so everyone gets a good view.

There are loads of stuff on Youtube just do a search yourself but here's a link to the 'Storybots' video's that the younger kids love - Outer Space Songs below is my favorite one!!  :smiley:

Thanks guys for your responses.

I was thinking about doing whats the Weather like on each planet. 

Your right Stev74 there is not one whiteboard/blackboard insight (sad to see :(.) Ill be taking the CPC in while there having their break so the "ooooooooh" value will be high. Tonight i just been asked to do the Beavers sleep over so they can look at the night sky (should start charging :)

I might take your advice and whip up a Power Point presentation. 

Kinda Nervous lol 

Thanks Again guys!

Hi Gartut200, yes, I have done a few groups with outreach with Swindon Stargazers, it is good fun.  The main thing is to keep their interest, I do this by asking them lots of questions during presentations as we go along etc.  But viewing through a telescope is always fascinating to any youngster.  Our Powerpoint presentation is geared towards the scout association's astronomy activity badge. 

Archived