Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C9.25 on an EQ5?

I know it probably shouldn't be done (eq5 max 9 kg ish) (C9.25 9 kg ish) but I'm giving it some thought :-)

I've a 150 Mak on the EQ5 which I use for mainly webcam planetary imaging and a 250 manual dob for DSO... I'm finding that the dob isn't getting much use and the Mak I'm wishing was bigger.

I'm thinking of flogging the Mak and the dob hoping that the C9.25 might be a good all rounder...

Thoughts please?

ta

You will really need an EQ6, by the time you put a finder, camera, barlow etc on it you will be well over weight.  For imaging you need to go for an all up weight of around 60% payload, may be 75% for planets.

An HEQ5 might just be in range, but I think you will regret buying one and wished you went straight for an EQ6.

Robin

The EQ5 is similar to my Vixen GP, and whilst a C8 sits very happily on it, even with quite some extra kit, I wonder if a C9.25 isn't a step too far. The C8 OTA is much lighter and shorter than the C9.25 (My old C8 weighs in at only 4.7 kg, the C9.25 is 9.3 according to the Robtics site). An HEQ5 or EQ6 would seem better choices

When I decided I was going to upgrade my EQ3-2, I was pretty sure it would be an HEQ5.  With maybe a slight touch of aperture fever I also considered a new telescope to go with it.  To cut a long story short, I arrived at celestron SCT's and a choice between C8 and C9.25.  Was very close to going for a C9.25 but realised it was a bigger step than you would think and did not want to get an EQ6.

So C8 it was and I think its the right choice, even though I haven't used it yet!  But it seems to fit nicely in the HEQ5 payload capacity considering AP and future add-ons.

Archived