Newb looking for advice on beginner scope

Hey guys I'm a complete newb when it comes to astronomy but find it all very fascinating. I'm looking at getting my first scope and happy to pay between 500-700 euro. I've done a bit of research and have had some back and forth emails with firstlightoptics.com and have my eye on two scopes, first being the Skywacther explorer 200p eq5 and the Skyliner 200p dob. What are your opinions on these scopes and is this website the best place to purchase a scope.

As I said I'm a complete newb and would like a scope that's easy to use for beginners but also get to see some great sights. Can I get a telescope for this price or would I need to spend more? Any advice guys would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Akkeny and welcome to SGL :)

Firstly FLO are the forum sponsors and give excellent service that you'll find difficult to beat. They go over and above the call of duty to ensure folks are satisfied with their purchase and give worthwhile guarantees with the products they sell. They are competitive on price and on many occasions will "price match" where possible - you're lucky to have found them.

For the scopes you mention - there are differences - if you want to just look at the sky through the eyepiece then the Skyliner dob is most popular beginners scope in the UK. It has a focal length of 1200mm and a focal ratio of f5.91 and moves up/down and left/right. The Explorer on the EQ5 mount moves in RA and Dec or right ascension and declination (meaning it follows the natural movement of the Earths spin). It has a focal length of 1000mm at f-5. An equatorial mount is essential for deep sky photography - the imaging potential of the dob is very limited.

So it really depends on what you want to do with a scope and how affordable it is for you. I'd recommend you begin with observing only and learn the sky - whichever mount you choose. And do a spot of research on focal lengths and ratios and how a scope's optics work - it'll be invaluable to you.

Do build in some leeway for accessories which can often come to half the original scope cost - and do ask lots of questions, you'll always get an answer here. Hope that helps and good luck with your choice. :)

The two optical tubes are very similar - same aperture just a slightly different focal length and at 8" they will certainly show you a lot - so the choice really is the mount.  The dobsonian mount as Brantuk says just moves left and right, and has not go to or tracking - the eq5 moves differently and may or may not have go to depending on which options you go for.

For me you would be better served starting with the dobsonian - it is simpler to move, and easier to set up.  However whichever option you go with you wont be disappointed but will want some accessories.

The best advice that I can give would be to go along to a local astronomy club and ask advice there. The SW200p is a fine beginner scope but the choice of mount between Dobsonian, EQ or Alt Az is very much a personal one. The Dob mob are convinced that the easy set up etc win the day but personally I prefer an equatorial mount. A visit to your local club will let you try out both and get some experience before you part with your hard earned cash and find out that you've plumped for the wrong one.

To be honest a scope can wait (IMO). I think perhaps starting with a decent set of binoculars, and a copy of Turn Left at Orion would be the best start. You did state you were a complete newb so before splashing the cash on a shiny new scope (they all come with free clouds by the way), it is good to learn your way around the skys, plus helps build your knowledge gradually. I would also recommend looking at an exceptional sticky on the getting started in observing section of this forum that shows you what you could expect to see in a scope (by Qualia) here....some people are disappointed that they dont see hubble-esqe images (that we all admire of course), so setting your expectations early might be good.

The weather does not co-operate that much, so a decent pair of bins (and tripod) and the book means you can be up and running really quickly if there is a break in the clouds.  you will still see galaxies, globular clusters, double stars, and of course lunar features with bins. Helps to break you in gently.

Of course those scopes are nice though, I did consider a SW200 on an Eq5 before I got my TAL's, but having the time to think and analyse what I was really interested in with my Binoculars helped refine the requirements for the scope purchase. dont rush it....it will be worth the wait I promise.

All the best and clear skies.

Really appreciate all the feedback guys, there's a starter course in astronomy starting in few weeks that runs over 8 weeks here in Dublin so I think I'll start there as you get to use few different scopes at some point in the course. Also getting to learn about the sky and different telescopes should make my decision a lot easier. Thanks again guys.

Archived