NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Ultima LX

Hey all

I'm getting a 8" XT8i Orion Dobsonian.

I'm planning on buying one eyepiece and a barlow to begin with.

In regards to the eyepiece. I've been looking at either the Orion Stratus 17mm 68 FOV or the Celestron Ultima LX 17mm 70 FOV

The Celestron is slightly more expensive, and also its quite a bit heavier at 20oz vs the 14oz of the Stratus.

What I wanted to find out is will the Celestron Ultima LX be too heavy for an 8" DOB throwing it off balance? Also any recommendations between the two would be great :)

Thanks everyone.

Daniel

Thanks

The main thing I wanted to find out is if the 20oz weight of a Celestron Ultima LX is too much for an 8" DOB?

I shouldn't think so. I know people that put much heavier EPs in their Dobs. If there is a problem, 6 oz difference could be compensated quite easily with a small counterweight.

She's a big ol' Ep that's for sure.. cheapest I've seen is £96 from but average is £130... FLo have a similar Skywatcher SWA at sub £90 which is the same specification..

At circa 550+g it will cause some balance issues, I know my 17mm SWA does..

There are probably better options.. lots of people suggest the BST explorers and Revelation plossls as a good step up from the stock eyepeices..

I use a 22mm ultima on a 8 inch sw with cg5 and found no issues.They are a tad lighter though than the 17.The issues I have is when I use it with a 2inch Barlow.

They are defiantly not the heaviest of eyepieces so I would have thought it should be ok on your scope by itself

Regards Jonn

Archived