Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fitting 3 guiders to an 8" Cassegrain. Overkill?

I've been wanting to replace the flimsy stock red dot finder on my 8SE.

Looking at 360 astronomy they have a sturdy looking 3 way footplate/ block that can fit 3 dovetails. 

I'm planning:

• Baader sky surfer V
  • GLP in dovetail mount (probably the celestron mount)
  • Maybe in the future a small 90 deg corrected spotter

I want to keep the legs short/ low profile so the arrangement isnt too huge (like in the picture) 

Do you think this will be massive overkill and will only add lots of weight rather than practicality and usefulness? Also fitting them all to one foot do you think i'll have problems getting them all aligned?

I don't do astro photos so perhaps the spotter will be too much and unnecessary?

I'm buying the Baader first and i'm going to see how that looks before I add any other bits and check viewing heights/ clearances. 

Thoughts? Stupid or a possible?  :)

post-12512-0-45191900-1389608666_thumb.j pic from 365 astronomy

post-12512-0-77916000-1389608704_thumb.j pic from 365 astronomy

I have a 8SE and dumped the red dot unit immediately in favour of a 9x50 Skywatcher RACI optical finder. I have no difficulty sighting along the main tube initially and then picking up the object in the finder. A better red dot finder than the stock issue in addition could have some benefit, any more than that I think would be overkill.  :smiley:

I have a 8SE and dumped the red dot unit immediately in favour of a 9x50 Skywatcher RACI optical finder. I have no difficulty sighting along the main tube initially and then picking up the object in the finder. A better red dot finder than the stock issue in addition could have some benefit, any more than that I think would be overkill.  :smiley:

I think you could be right. I don't want to overload it. I'm keen on a GLP mount so my elderly dad can set it up without difficulty but I think a 90 deg finder would solve this issue. 

Archived