Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount recommendations for planetary / solar

AWR

I've finally decided to buy a GOTO mount.  After many years of purely visual observing, I'd like to do some planetary / solar imaging.  I'd like a mount that could take my Mak127 for planetary and Lunt for solar so nothing too heavy needed.  My garden is pretty useless as an imaging location so I'd like something that is light to move and easy to align.  I know that planetary / solar is not too taxing on a mount but I'd like something that might let me do some DS imaging with an 80mm frac in the future.

I'm looking at the Celestron Advanced VX.  Thoughts, opinions, other suggestions all welcome.

Many thanks,

Andrew

For fast frame camera solar system imaging do you really need an EQ? Many people say not and a motorized alt az like the iOptron is incredibly convenient and easy to set up. I'm sure Helen's solar imaging is done on an alt az. Of course you'd get rotation in long deep sky exposures but the stacking software can sort that out in video imaging.

Olly

For solar/planetary the above suggestion would work great. But if you are wanting to do some DSOs with your 80mm frac in the future then you will have to get an EQ and I would suggest the HEQ5. I might dare to say it would work with your Mak for DSOs too.

Archived