Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ascom to run alignmaster

all-on-black

Im trying to download the ascom platform so i can install alignmaster but its taking hours and i cant get anything to work. I cant update to .net microsoft pack something or other because im missing stuff. It takes about an hour to run the setup when it should take a minute.

Is my system really that bad that i can only use it to look at pictures?! Its windows xp so it should work!

Hi

I run ascom and Alignmaster on a windows XP netbook and works very well, sounds like there is another issue with your PC unrelated to the astronomy software, such as a virus or spyware, so check that.

Also you should check to see if windows update is turned on, if so it may be trying to download other updates too for the operating system, this in turn can slow things down considerably, I always have windows update turned off and run when I am not using the PC for a few hours, twice a year.

Failing all that try reinstalling windows XP over the top and it should put back anything that is missing in the way of files, but you will need and XP install disc for that.

Hope this helps, I was a computer technician in a former life.....but have lost touch with it a little now.

MM

Thanks for your advice much appreciated.

I have had the updates page open and scanning for new updates for 20 minutes now. Nothing. Looks like a re-install is the only way forward then, but that erases everything right? Good job ive got next to nothing on it then!!

Thanks for your advice much appreciated.

I have had the updates page open and scanning for new updates for 20 minutes now. Nothing. Looks like a re-install is the only way forward then, but that erases everything right? Good job ive got next to nothing on it then!![/quote

It does not mean it will erase all, by installing over the top without formatting, it will really only put back what is missing, but I would not recommend this without backing up first, also no point if there could be a chance of a virus or other malware on your system.

My XP netbook is only an intel atom proccessor and 2 gig of ram, and I use it to image and guide my set up and never let's me down, I would swear by XP for astro software, would never use anything else, never let me down and the most stable operating system released since windows 95.

MM

Currently doing a system restore to when it was working on monday. Realised that, although i have an xp disc, my lap top has no optical drive. Oops! Just hope the restore works. Lap top is only a week old!!

That's unusual to have a brand new laptop with windows XP installed!! I would have thought it would have been win 8 or at the very least win7

MM

I got a new (refurbished) laptop from Morgans recently to replace my slow netbook. It comes with XP service pack 2. There was an issue with updates. They wouldn't work for me until I had manually downloaded SP3, rebooted and then downloaded the latest internet explorer. After that 200+ updates came down! PS - if you use AVAST virus checker, IE may keep randomly crashing until you disable the IE add-on inside IE.

Crikey, all good now. Its silly fast! Installing ascom now, feeling confident of success.

All thanks to everyone who gave advice! Many thanks to you all.

Have a great weekend. Clear skies tomorrow night!!

It sounds to me that if a system restore worked, you may have picked up some malware, using system restore is very often a good way to get rid of it, but does not always work as the malware sometimes disabled the restore function.

Run a scan with your antivirus software just to make double sure it has gone

Glad you are up and running again.

MM

I've just had a nightmare installing Alignmaster and getting it to work with ASCOM. I downloaded ASCOM ages ago but could never get it to work properly. It does now with Alignmaster, but it took some time to check everything was 'talking' to each other and the last gasp was telling my SynScan handset to work in PC mode - I had overlooked that one but that finally did the trick.  :rolleyes: 

Ive got it all downloaded but now im lost. Set up looks confusing as hell!

I understand the alignmaster side of it, but ascom side seems confusing.

When it asks for what telescope i have, what do i select? Have i then got to add all of my settings in?

Can i not just run alignmaster alongside BYE?

Archived