Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good night's viewing

Steve777

Hi All,

Started the night around 9pm letting the 'scope cool outside the front door before snatching a quick look at Jupiter; then looked at the moon, & was joined by a passing neighbour; very impressive indeed in the WO SPL 6mm, where the shadows in the craters showed up a treat. Then the Orion nebula and after a break out to see Jupiter, where I've seen the GRS for the first time for sure, the WO has given me my best view of the planet yet. Orion nebula was very impressive with the 10mm BST (I feel this is the best piece of astro gear I've ever bought per price). Looked also at M37, my favourite of all clusters (except maybe the seven sisters) where the red star at the centre was clearly visible & gave it beauty. Then back to Jupiter with the 6mm, where the two main bands, GRS & hints of two other bands was apparent. Rekindled my enthusiasm; having 3 quality eps has made a difference!

Sounds like a rewarding night. I'm heading out shortly for a couple of hours of galaxies now that the moon is on his way out.

M37 is now on the list as a splendid loosener before the frustrations of the faint fuzzies.

Good call.

Paul

Did you find them?

After battling ice and misted up mirrors (at least I know that the scope was cooled) - Yes - M37 was a first for me. A lovely easy to find cluster. I will return. Thanks for the tip.

The faint Fuzzies - all over the place. Confused the hell out of me. This was my first proper go at the a Virgo Cluster. Unusually, too many galaxies! Very hard to work out what was what. Might start an "unscrambling Virgo - Advice Please" thread.

A first ever view of Saturn topped off a rewarding night.

Paul

Archived