Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is this mount?

giltbrook

Hello, I was looking for a cheap mount to try out astronomy with my spotting scope and I have been offered a telescope for sale, with tripod and mount at a good price, I am not bothered about the telescope, but I am not sure what mount and tripod is that is fitted to the Konusmotor, is it an EQ1, EQ2, or another type, and is the tripod liable to be reasonably stable, can anyone help please from the image, below.

post-33587-0-15790100-1389266545_thumb.j

It looks like an eq1 to me as the eq2 is a little more substantial. You may get some wide field shots from it with just a camera  and there are ways to increase the stability of the tripod. I am not a great fan of the cheap eq mounts but thats just my opinion

It looks like an eq1 to me as the eq2 is a little more substantial. You may get some wide field shots from it with just a camera  and there are ways to increase the stability of the tripod. I am not a great fan of the cheap eq mounts but thats just my opinion

Thanks, I had tried to compare the photo with images on the web, but it was difficult with just having the single 2D image. I was going to buy it if it had been an EQ2, just to have a play with, especially as it comes with a lot of accessories, but as cheap as it is, I think I will give it a miss.

I think giving it a miss is the best plan.  The EQ1 can be used for imaging with a camera and short focal length lens, but you'd need to add a motor for tracking and if you don't know exactly what model it is you can't be sure what motor will work with it as the gears often have different ratios.  There are quite a few EQ1 and EQ2 copies around.

James

Archived