Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece filters for skywatcher 130M

Hi,

Just looking at filters for my scope, 130mm aperture with 900mm fl. is it worth getting a UHC filter, OIII filter or a pollution filter for looking at nebulae? 

I can find them, but i'm just wondering if these will make them easier to find, bringing out a bit more contrast and detail - but would any be worthwhile in a 130mm aperture?

Regards,

Joe

There are some excellent topics on Filters in the Eyepiece section, such as this.

There's no reason why a filter wouldn't be worthwhile in your 'scope.

It does all depend on your conditions and what you are after. A light pollution filter is just that, it will reduce light pollution, but won't necessarily make your views of nebulae any better.

There's no substitute for a dark sky.

The UHC is a broader band filter allowing more wavelengths of light through where as the Olll is a single band or line filter and so is more aggressive. You'd get more contrast with an Olll, but lose the background stars. People often start with the UHC and progress on the Olll if necessary.

Cheers

Hi Joe, yes I do think a UHC filter would be useful for your 130mm.  I'd personally prefer that to an OIII for your scope, or a more general LP filter.

But see what others say, not just me, before spending money.

I use a UHC with my 10" Dob, and my 70mm refractor.  My OIII only sees use with the Dob.

Last September I was at Kelling Heath, travelling light with my 70mm refractor, bagged the eastern Veil nebula, no problem.

A UHC doesn't transform the visual view into like an image, but definitely enhances it, on the right objects of course.

Regards, Ed.

Archived