Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which scope?

Hi all

I'm after upgrading my cheap astromaster 90 to a new scope since getting hooked, I'm also keen on trying out some imaging in the future, i have narrowed to either a skywatcher explorer 150p on a eq3-2 mount, a sky master 127 azgt synscan, or a 130 explorer az synscan. I prefer the choice of the 130 explorer. These are within my price range. I like the idea of a goto mount. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are wanting to eventually get into imaging then you'll need to consider a couple more things. First, either scope is possible to image with but you will want the 130/150 PDS not just the P. Secondly, you will want to get an EQ mount that can, at minimum, track on its own. By this I mean it needs motors. An alt/az mount, though it tracks, does not track in the right way and will not allow for imaging. At least for long exposure AP. You might be able to do planetary and lunar imaging but that would be the limit.

Both scopes would be a very nice upgrade for visual use but for AP there is a TON of stuff to consider. There have been several threads about people wanting to get into AP recently. Do a quick search on the forum and you'll find lots of usefull information. The one thing that could save you a lot of money is to buy the book Make Every Photon Count. It is the beginners guide to AP and really will help explain everything you need to consider.

Archived