NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick moon shot with DSLR + 90mm Mak

TractionMan

Much to my surprise the sky cleared up for a short while. Saw the beautiful crescent moon, albeit through some haze. Nevertheless, I decided to try some lunar photography just for fun. After all, it's been a while since I tried it. This time I chose my little 90mm Mak. Connected my A77 to it and more or less ran outside. Unfortunately I only managed to get about 20 shots before the haze turned into thick fog. Here's a quick single frame RAW conversion. I'll try so see if Registax want to play fair later. Still, I'm quite happy with the result considering the weather.

post-22147-0-01431000-1388865058_thumb.j

Very nice shot :laugh: Will be interesting to see how the stacking goes if you give that a whirl, as the single shot is already very nice.

I was hoping it would clear in time for me to have a go today, but the best it got was very, very thick haze  :eek: Mind you, perhaps it would have made for a moody pic!  :smiley:

So I ran the images through PIPP and then tried RegiStax, it worked ok until I got to wavelets (using JamesF's tutorial) and ended with a weird looking "patchwork" moon. Then I remembered that I had changed the shutter to tweak exposure a bit during the short photo session. Loaded the best exposured frames (only 10 unfortunately) into RegiStax and somehow all 10 got picked with lowest quality setting at 95%. Played a bit with wavelets again and no more "patchwork". Ok so I have no idea if I've done too much or too little there but the result is alot better than the single frame at least. Always something to learn from it at least.

post-22147-0-26283200-1388954318_thumb.j

Archived