Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recording my Observations

Hi

Just got in from viewing Jupiter again. Yes I can pick it out now. But still not able to see it very clearly, especially tonight. Cloud come over, All gone.

Anyway, what is the best way to keep a record of my time outside watching and recording what I see? Is there an electronic table or will I have to invent one?

Gary

I take it casually but generally I do the following:

• a new page or more for each evening/day of observation.
  • weather conditions, time, and date.
  • gear (optical & filters) used. I just do something like 4" f/10, 19mm Pan, Herschel Wedge etc.
  • object's name, type of object, constellation.
  • sketch A - this approach is generally for a planets, double stars, non-open cluster Messier-type object, that is, keeping the sketch area small, about 7cm to 8cm diameter, this will help you concentrate on observing, rather than focusing on producing an artistic interpretation.
  • sketch B - generally do this for Solar observations, open clusters or wanting greater expanse on planet work, that is, a larger sketch area, the best circle I have found is the free plastic disc they include when you buy a pack of blank CDs or simply to use a compass.
  • For all sketches I like to include orientation marks, field of view.
  • Inlcude a brief description of your observation, any subtle colours you saw, difficulties found, anything interesting or point you'd like to remember.
  • Notes to yourself to look up stuff, study on etc.

Here are a couple of nice sites:

Observing Logbooks

Observing Logs

Templates

Hope this helped :icon_salut:

Archived