Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SharpSky Pro stepper based focus control / motor

dmahon

I haven't seen much written about this SharpSky Pro unit, but when I found myself wanting a stepper motor based focus controller, so I could truly autofocus (unlike the Skywatcher Autofocus unit which has a DC motor) it looked like something worth giving a go.

It has a couple of nice touches:

1) USB based rather than serial (I only have one serial port which is in use, so I'd have needed a USB-serial convertor anyway)
2) Built in 4 channel Dew controller
3) UK made, and in the southwest at that

It started off as a home made item, which was then supported in kit form and has progressed to a very professionally made unit together with ASCOM driver. I ordered mine on New Year's Eve and it arrived today (next day, excluding the bank holiday). He had kindly fashioned the mounting bracket for my scope, so all I had to do was attach it (you are normally given a blank that you can drill for your specific focuser). I haven't had the opportunity to try it out in anger, so to speak, given the weather - but it works as expected otherwise. Here are a few pictures:

In the box:

SHARPSKY1.JPG

Out of the box:

SHARPSKY2.JPG

Attaching to Skywatcher Equinox 80 - some stand off screws were provided and the 10:1 fine focus knob was removed:

SHARPSKY3.JPG

The whole unit connected up:

SHARPSKY4.JPG

Front of unit (manual controller, cable to stepper motor, USB cable):

SHARPSKY5.JPG

Back of unit (power [not captive], dew controller [1 inserted]):

SHARPSKY6.JPG

It can all be controlled manually, but it comes complete with an ASCOM driver. It has an external temperature probe and a temperature probe within the motor unit.

More details on their webpage: http://www.sharpsky.net/index.html

I have one of these too and have been over the moon with it so far, Dave is a friendly guy who is always willing to help if you have any issues.

At the moment I am using it as a Dew Heater but will be on my WO GT-81 as soon as I work out the best way to attach it. :)

I tried it in a moment of clear sky, and am happy to say I got the autofocus routine in SGP working straight away (though I have probably not found the best settings yet). Putting a Bahtinov mask on the scope afterwards, it looked pretty much spot on.

I'm surprised on of the major retailers hasn't jumped on him to act as a main supplier - as he's based in the southwest, FLO would seem like the obvious choice.

I expect it's down to the time and effort involved, I know he builds all of the units himself.
The number of people using a focus unit such as this must be rather small though.

Had a few problems with software crashing or working strange, I'm 95% sure this is down to using OSX and Boot Camp/Parallels to run Windows rather than a PC.

It definitely does a better job at focusing than I do! lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just today I received a SharpSky kit from Dave, a controler plus two motors (two scopes will motorised but not run together at the same time, so I only need one controler). The motors are a little bigger than I expected so I've had to re-think the method I was going to use to mount them. Rather than using direct drive - with the motor sticking out from the end of the focuser - I'll be using some MXL toothed pulleys and belts. I want the motor sitting either on top or below the focuser for a more compact arrangement, and using a 2:1 reduction will give the motor some extra leverage. Glad to hear others have had success with this kit, at the moment I have mine just wedged in place temporarily while I play with the software (running SGPro). I don't know if I will ever make use of the temperature compensation adjustment, it would seem to be difficult to calibrate? I think a quick auto-focus check between subs might be better, but that will be for later.

Just a few photos, a temporary setup like I said.

IMG_0163_zps827dd99b.jpg

IMG_0165_zpsaefe005d.jpg

IMG_0167_zps33efd40a.jpg

ChrisH

• 2 years later...

Archived