Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power Help - Golf Battery?

Guys,

I am disliking the mains set up I currently am using for my mount because I just  don't think it is safe to have an old External Hardrive PSU connecting to an extension cable outside in the damp conditions we are having.

Also, I can't actually take my scope anywhere which is a bit annoying considering that portability seems to be a good advantage of the 127-SkyWatcher MAK.

A few people here and in other forums have put me off using the jump starters plus the cheap one Maplin did doesn't seem to be in stock anymore nearby. Therefore I was hoping I could get some advice on the following possibility.

1. http://www.tayna.co.uk/Lucas-Golf-Battery-LSLC22-12G-P7938.html - Lucas 22ah AGM/Gel Golf Battery

2. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Motorcycle-Accessory-Power-Socket-100cm-1-metre-cable-Blade-Fused-/290772324208?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43b3618f70#ht_2186wt_946 - A 10A fused 1meter 12V Power Socket

3. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/skytron-power-supply-cable-for-skywatcher-celestron-mounts.html - Az Goto Cigarette Lighter Power Cable

4. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RSC504-Smart-Charger/dp/B00499DTVU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1388678446&sr=8-7&keywords=ring+battery+charger - Ring Automotive RSC504 Smart Charger

Some additional issues/questions are:

1. I can't work out if the Lucas battery takes 6mm rings like the 12V power socket I linked above contains. The pictures I have seen looks small so I suspect it should be okay but I can't work this out.
2. Should I swap the 10A blade fuse for a 5A one as I will probably only run the mount (I may run a single dew heater in the future but I still think that one Dew Heater & my Az-Goto mount should easily use below 5A).
3. Can I fit any sort of terminal cover over these once the socket is fitted? I have a paranoia about a magical long piece of metal coming into contact in just a way that touches both terminals at the same time. I realise I actually have never played around with a battery before and whilst I have seen large leisure batterys with clip on covers etc. I can't see anything similar on these smaller golf batteries.
4. Is a bag or anything needed or can I just stick the thing on the floor? There seem to be some nice looking Golf Battery cary cases around which it could maybe sit in with the 12V socket then attached somehow.

5. is a 2A/4A charger okay? if I am right then it should charge my battery no problem within a day even at the 2A setting as this battery is only 22ah. Not sure if it is worther paying £10 for the option to go upto the 12A charger, I am only thinking this because one day I am going to want a battery to power my Laptop which would probably need to be into the 75AH region and so a higher rating may then be needed at that point? I can't believe I am being picky about £10 but this is costing me a fair chunk of wonga already!

Any help would be appreciated!

I've been using a set of 20Ah Gel cell Golf Buggy batteries and the triple stage charger (up to 10A - but the 2/4A would work OK) - They are now over seven years old and still 100%.

I just use them on the ground - no boxes/ bags - KISS.

If the prospect of an electrical fire or getting a massive belt off the battery concerns you, you could probably construct a simple plastic box to cover one of the terminals, the other will be harmless exposed on its own.  Make sure the clips and lead that you use has an in-line fuse to guard against accidental shorts further up the line.

Archived