Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher auto focuser screw.

Hi Dave.  

As you still have one of the two screws, perhaps if you take it to a decent DIY shop, you may find something that could replace the missing one ?

It's highly likely to have a metric thread, and as metric are much more widely available, that helps.

Make certain you get the correct diameter, but you may well find you have to cut to length. After cutting, file the end smooth, removing the 'burs'.

You will probably have to buy a packet of screws, but that will help if you cut the first one too short..... :smiley:

Hope you are successful, Ed.

Hi happy new year ,

Does anyone happen to know where I can get a spare skywatcher auto focuser screw from.

I have lost one of the two screws which secure's the focuser to the bracket.

Regards.

The chrome-plated screws with a slotted an knurled head?

James

Oh!  The irony!  Whilst checking the motor focuser I have sitting under my desk waiting to go on my PST I dropped one of the four screws that hold the bracket to the focuser and now I can't find it :D

Never mind.  I'm sure to have a spare somewhere.

James

Ok, I've checked the chrome screws now and they appear to be M4.  If you're not fussed about an exact match I'd be tempted to find a stainless M4 allen bolt about the same length as the one you still have.  I don't think you'll need to cut it down even if it is a bit on the long side.

James

Hi Dave.  

As you still have one of the two screws, perhaps if you take it to a decent DIY shop, you may find something that could replace the missing one ?

It's highly likely to have a metric thread, and as metric are much more widely available, that helps.

Make certain you get the correct diameter, but you may well find you have to cut to length. After cutting, file the end smooth, removing the 'burs'.

You will probably have to buy a packet of screws, but that will help if you cut the first one too short..... :smiley:

Hope you are successful, Ed.

Will do Ed cheers mate.

The chrome-plated screws with a slotted an knurled head?

yes James that's the one.

James

Ok, I've checked the chrome screws now and they appear to be M4.  If you're not fussed about an exact match I'd be tempted to find a stainless M4 allen bolt about the same length as the one you still have.  I don't think you'll need to cut it down even if it is a bit on the long side.

James

Thanks for that mate very kind of you I will check out eBay.

Thanks for that mate very kind of you I will check out eBay.

ebay is not at all a bad source for bolts and suchlike in small numbers.  Often large suppliers will only supply them in hundreds (or even five hundreds) and if I only want a few that's ridiculous.  Getting them from ebay might mean you pay 20p/unit rather than a few pence, but it can still be more sensible to pay £2 for ten than £20 for 500 if you'll never use them.  And for me the drive into town and back would probably cost me more than the price of the bolts in fuel alone.

James

Archived