NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What detail could I expect to see with this telescope?

Dear all,

I should hopefully have access to one of the telescopes at my University at some point in the New Year - which would be brilliant!

It is a 12" aperture refractor, of focal length 19' 6". On a 10mm eyepiece, one would get about 600x magnification. But I have no idea what sort of planetary detail etc. I could see with this?

Thanks,

Matthew

Apparently one of the physicists at the Cavendish (or maybe the IoA), designed the replacement a decade or more ago, though I may be wrong about that? Yes I was referring to Northumberland!! I'm assuming that you are both local to Cambridge from the ways you are both talking? Are either of you connected to the university - I am an undergraduate there?

As far as I recall, Roderick Willstrop designed the new objective and Jim Hysom produced it. The original objective suffered from devitrication of the front element and there wasn't enough glass thickness for a regrind within spec. I also have a feeling that the new objective is a triplet. 

Archived