New comer

SpaceBug - You should know that these big scopes not only are light buckets for those faint fuzzies but they also brighten the background which can be a problem if any light pollution is present. But they do work nice at resonably dark sky sites :Envy:

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I have the option of taking the scope to a dark site nearby, so I don't think it's going to be a problem. The skies where I live are reasonably dark anyway.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kieran - Ive' heard a lot of complaining  about how the summer skies at your latitude never really get that dark during the summer . So my question is, are you in the southern part of the U.K where this effect is less severe than the northern part?

SpaceBug - The same question for you since I would expect your location is further north than Kieran's ?

I am at 42 degrees N and except for some haze from humidity during the summer, the skies here are pretty dark in the summer when away from populated areas with lots of light pollution - I have a nice dark sky site in a rural area some 30 miles from home and can see stars down to 5.7 mag. on average during the summer. :laugh:  When I lived in New Mexico (at 33 degrees latitude), which was in a dry "high desert" (7,500 feet elevation) location in a dark area, I was able to see two dim diffused shadows on the tan colored ground from my legs caused by the Cygnus and Sagittarius bright star clouds in the Milky Way - not That was a dark sky site :eek:  Have either of you seen the Milky Way where you are?

Kieran - Ive' heard a lot of complaining  about how the summer skies at your latitude never really get that dark during the summer . So my question is, are you in the southern part of the U.K where this effect is less severe than the northern part?

SpaceBug - The same question for you since I would expect your location is further north than Kieran's ?

I am at 42 degrees N and except for some haze from humidity during the summer, the skies here are pretty dark in the summer when away from populated areas with lots of light pollution - I have a nice dark sky site in a rural area some 30 miles from home and can see stars down to 5.7 mag. on average during the summer. :laugh:  When I lived in New Mexico (at 33 degrees latitude), which was in a dry "high desert" (7,500 feet elevation) location in a dark area, I was able to see two dim diffused shadows on the tan colored ground from my legs caused by the Cygnus and Sagittarius bright star clouds in the Milky Way - not That was a dark sky site :eek:  Have either of you seen the Milky Way where you are?

I live in the very south of Sweden at roughly 55° N, about the same latitude as Glasgow and Edinburgh for a reference. In the middle of June, the sun sets at 21:50 (9:50 pm) and rises again at 04:20. That's about half an hour later than London for sunset and half an hour earlier for sunrise.

Wow! And I thought the shortest night here on the first day of summer was short at 7 hours. And with the nearly constant rain and clouds the UK (and south Sweden?) gets, my heart goes out for you observers in that part of the world :sad:

Wow! And I thought the shortest night here on the first day of summer was short at 7 hours. And with the nearly constant rain and clouds the UK (and south Sweden?) gets, my heart goes out for you observers in that part of the world :sad:

Yeah, constant cloud cover and rain here :clouds2::clouds1:

But if you trust the weather forecast, it looks like it will clear up in the beginning of next week :laugh2:.

Some fanatical Al-Qaeda Astronomy group?!  :eek:

We'll stay well clear of Warrington then!  :grin:

What's the world coming to :sad:  Fires, trash...well not ALL youngsters are this way...at least not in my "neck of the woods".  Of coarse it only takes a few to give all kids (and adults) a bad image for sure. Yea, all kid astronomers should be VERY careful anywhere they observe....and maybe carry a big stick or a nice stink bomb :grin:  So far, I haven't seen this behavior where I observe but like my signature says...for good or bad :shocked:

:wink:

Back on topic: You're right about them taking a friend or staying in a group (or joining a club!) though, it's dark out there. :alien:

its the last part that matters, I have been out several tkmes but always with someone else, too many nutters around these days

Archived