Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need a cheap tripod for 10x50 Bino's

Hi guys.

As some of you may i'm a noob!

I bought a pair of 10x50 Bino's of amazon.

there amazing! for the price of £29.94

Here is what i have: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Binoculars-Lightweight-Astronomy-Magnification-Warranty/dp/B009M5LFQC/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

So far i haven't been able to use them much due to the poor weather in the South East.

I have been able to see some starts but i can't hold the damn thing steady enough to have a good look at it.

So i need tripod right?

I don't want to sped more the the bino's and go too expensice just something that can hold them steady. 

Here are a couple ive' been looking at.

By the way i know i need a L adapater ;)

Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VISIONARY-LIGHT-WEIGHT-TRIPOD-VT6-BINOCULARS-SCOPE-/261136905310?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item3cccf8f45e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TRIPOD-FOR-ANY-CAMERA-BINOCULAR-OR-TELESCOPE-UNIVERSAL-STAND-VISIONARY-VT-50-/221120839992?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item337bd44138

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Binoculars-Stargazing-Photography-Collapsable/dp/B0096QWQBA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388431381&sr=1-2&keywords=binoculars+tripod

This one has good reviews of people who have been using them for Stargazing and also they are extra long for people who are over 5ft 9" (i am 5 "7).

so opinion would be nice please fellow gazers :)

The cheapest option is probably an inverted broom, just let the brush take the weight of the binoculars.  A better alternative is a monopod, that's just an extending pole with a camera mounting point at the top, which you would fix your L bracket to; buy a large L bracket to get the best stability, the smaller ones are liable to allow vibrations.

I use an old camera tripod that I acquired from a car boot sale years ago, it's a big beast which has a built-in monopod, so I get the choice of which I want to use.  Unfortunately these days buying new usually means wobbly, although a bit of careful shopping can yield some gems...  look for a miniature tripod called Velbon, it is more of a table-top tripod but very steady for its size even when fully extended.  You could easily spend upwards of £100 on a full size tripod, it would be light, strong, and steady but probably not justified for the use you have in mind.

Given the choice between a slightly wobbly tripod and a decent monopod, I would go with the monopod, unless I had any inclination that I might actually want to use the tripod for photography in which case one would have far more value than a monopod.  The only thing about binoculars on a tripod is that unless it's a good height it's difficult to get close enough to look up through the binoculars comfortably, you really need to be able to sit practially inside the legs area.

I use a Velbon for 10x50's & it works perfectly well, there are a number of models. They seem to be priced from £20 upwards.  Mine I think cost about £25 or so.  I also notice lots of these type of tripods in charity shops for around £5.  In one day I came across 2 or 3 in as many charity shops in one town !

Aye, old tripods can be a good buy if they're £5 or so, neither of my old tripods have quick-release heads and I've never missed not having it because I don't usually need to switch cameras on them, I just attach whichever camera or camcorder I'm going to use at the time.  I honestly don't know who really needs quick-release tripod heads apart from maybe people who have to use a few different cameras for the same session.

Just make sure if it is a quick-release type that it has the quick-release plate, totally useless without it.

The best thing I like about my big old tripod is the head.  It has a very smooth action, far better engineered than most of those I see in Jessops and I'll wager most that cost under £100.  It's not accurate enough for use with an 80mm telescope, too much slop at high magnification, but for binoculars it's perfect.  It is a Cullmann in case anyone was wondering.

I bought a tripod for about £12 (including P&P) off Amazon. It holds my Nikon D80 with a standard 18-3mm lens steady enough to photograph Venus and I have 10x50 binoculars too which are much lighter than my camera so it will definitely hold them well so there are probably even cheaper tripods that'll hold the binoculars.

Just make sure if it is a quick-release type that it has the quick-release plate, totally useless without it.

This point could not be reiterated enough especially if grabbing it secondhand.  Very good point jonathan !  they can look complete until you get them home and try attaching your gear to them.  Not a good start.

Archived