Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cold night for observing

Kirscovitch

Nice clear night tonight. Thought about taking out the new dob but wasn't sure how long I would be out as the temps had dipped to -12F. 

Decided to take out the SLT instead and had a pretty good evening. While the scope was cooling down had a view of M45 with my bins. I have decided that that is the best way to view them. 

After cool down my first subject was M42. This is quickly becoming my favorite. Using a 9mm with a 2x barlow the trapezium really splits nicely for me. 

M31 was next. It showed up nicely in my 25mm. I slewed over to Cassiopeia and just spent some time poking around this beautiful constellation.

I tried for a few more DSO's but after slewing over to them they ended up being too low on the horizon so they were either behind houses or trees.

Finally I went to Jupiter. It's becoming a good friend. Showed up nicely in the 9mm with the barlow. Banding was very prominent. 

I had been out for just about an hour now and as cold as it was I wasn't feeling it. I went inside to get my Starshoot and decided to do a little imaging.

After fighting with the focus (it was just about froze solid at this point) I managed to get 3 video clips about 5 min each. I'll run them through registax 6 later and see what I can get. I tried using the imager with the barlow but couldn't get any sort of image on the screen. I'm sure that it was a focus issue but being so cold and fighting with the scope I just packed it in. Total time out was just over 2 hours. I didn't even get that cold except for my toes and fingers. 

It is unusually cold for this time of year. We usually don't get temps like this till January or February. You kind of get used to it after a while and when it does warm up to around 30F people think it's spring and we go around in shorts lol.

Archived