Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter - 28th December 2013

dweller25

First time out with the new Binoviewers and they definitely make seeing fine details easier. I estimate that I can now see as much in AIII conditions as I could in cyclops mode in AII conditions.

The drawing is unfinished...... I had just started on the finer details when a sudden downpour started that had crept up behind me !!!!

Some interesting features :-

A - A dark patch in the North Polar Region - I have not seen that before.

B,C,D - Easily seen blue festoons. C had a nice white area by it's side and D looked to be a full loop.

E - A dark barge in the South south Temperate region.

A shame rain stopped play !!

Details - Intes Micro Maksutov 715 at x170(ish), seeing was AIII, temp was 4'C, altitude was 43', CM1=215.5, CM2=80.5, 21:30UT. Binoviewers with 18mm Orthos.

post-1055-0-79033400-1388326136_thumb.jp

I've been looking forward to seeing the results from the BV's and they certainly look and sound great.

After looking at Jupiter for 1 1/2 hrs the other night it started to feel like I was developing some kind of rare cheek cramp from trying to keep one eye shut all the time so I can't wait for some relaxing viewing with the BV's!!

On average I think that maybe 60% of my observing from home is AIII so I can quite easily live with AII with two eyes.

I also like the annotated sketch, it really helps and I think I'II start doing the same.

Jason - yes I am referring to the Antoniadi seeing scale......

• I - Perfect seeing without a quiver.
  • II - Slight undulations, moments of calm lasting several seconds.
  • III - Moderate seeing with larger air tremors.
  • IV - Poor seeing; constant troublesome undulations.
  • V - Very bad seeing; even a rough sketch impossible.

And this site demonstrates it visually but with reversed numbers.....

http://www.damianpeach.com/seeingscale.htm

Archived