NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on getting new binoculars

There are some good choices and good advice will come.

Have a look at Binocular Sky's website. Lots of good advice there, and the site owners book is excellent.

If you say you are upgrading you wanter bigger something with a 70-100mm apeture? If so then you might want to add a good pantograph or heavy duty tripod.

Helios have a good reputation and the Celestron are OK but have mixed reviews regarding collimation.

Another endorsement for Binocular Sky for basic info.

I took it that first decision is 'Do I want something that I can use handheld for any length of time or am I happy to have to use a monopod / tripod?' - that then governs if you go for high mag or better quality ( or if budget allows both!)

I'd read that then put some questions & things like budget in the Binoculars specific thread, you will probably get more answers there.   

The only thing wrong with 7x50 per se is that the exit pupil is rather large and quite a lot of the 50mm worth of light won't be going into your eye. You'd no doubt find 7x42 to be just as bright and a lot lighter. My favourite bins are good 8x42. If you want more magnification you start to move into mounted bino territory and it's a different kind of observing. It comes down to what you'd like to get out of your new bins. What would you be observing? And what would you aim to be spending?

Olly

I think you've got to try them: I've got some good Steiner 7x50 and some Swift Newport 10x50 which maybe aren't quite the same quality. I bought the Swift second hand thinking I coul do with a higher power but I can't hand hold them as easily and they certainly aren't as bright as the Steiners. Cant comment on 8x42 or exit pupils though I know the theory.

I can see Jupiters moons with the 7x50 and can't really see any more with the 10s, plus my finder scope is already 9x50.

Hi. I own the Helios Naturesport-Plus 10x50 for scanning the sky and moving around to different objects before viewing with the telescope.

What I can say about these is they are very good , clear and sharp. Orion nebular you can pick out as well as M42 which is a nice sight in these binoculars.

A nice size to handle with out a mount or tripod, you would be fine with these for star clusters and FLO have them at £79 which is a bargain I'd say. But it's all down to your self and what type you would like but these are very good.

I also have the Helios Apollo High Resolution 15x70 and these are fantastic but a mount or tripod is needed and you can view a lot more with very good views.

Try http://binocularsky.com plenty of information on there for you to read and a section on different types of binoculars and you should have a good idea on what to go for.

Hi guys thanks for all your comments found them helpful. I was hunting around and found this pair of celestron binoculars and the reviews seem good and I think they will suit my needs and lastly but most importantly the price is great... What do you think???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-71137-UpClose-10X50-Binoculars/dp/B0000CAOGV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1388250361&sr=8-3&keywords=celestron+binoculars+10x50

Astro Man

The Upcloses are reportedly OK if you get a good pair, but there's a chance you'll get a bad pair.

I'm not sure going from 7x50 to 10x50 will really bring much of an improvement to the views though. I was able to see noticeably more going from 10x50 to 15x70, but that's an upgrade that doubles the light-gathering power, and I equally noticed the increased weight, decreased convenience (even on a tripod, the smaller pair are easier), and narrowed field of view. 

Archived