Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro Conterweight Bar Thread Size ?????

Stevie P

Hi Steve,

If you are refering to the thread at the bottom end of the bar, where the stop screw fits, on My HEQ5 pro this is M6 x 1mm.

I do not have 12mm thread anywhere on the counterweight bar.

Is this what you needed to know?

Best Regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Hi Steve,

If you are refering to the thread at the bottom end of the bar, where the stop screw fits, on My HEQ5 pro this is M6 x 1mm.

I do not have 12mm thread anywhere on the counterweight bar.

Is this what you needed to know?

Best Regards.

Thats the thread im after I believe the older models had an M6 thread and newer ones have an M12.. problem at the mo for me is the pitch of the tread... they come in 1, 1.25, 1.5 and 1.75 mm and my eyes are just not up to that...

Use the multiple threads method to measure an unknown pitch...

Rub a pencil lead over the threaded rod and press a piece of paper against the thread.

Lay the paper out flat count five thread marks on the paper and measure the distance between them.

5 x 1mm pitch = 5mm

5 x 1.25mm pitch = 6.25mm

5 x 1.5mm pitch = 7.5mm

5 x 1.75mm pitch = 8.75mm

The more threads you can measure the bigger the difference becomes and the more accurate the measurement but at least five thread marks will be easy to see against a good ruler.

Hmm,

Must be a recent change then... my mount is only 14months old.

Skywatcher tend to use the normal coarse range S.I. threads which would be the 1.75mm pitch @ 12mm dia.

Can't see the advantage of the change in size, unless they are using HEQ6 parts on the latest HEQ5 mounts.

Best regards.

I compared it to a thread gauge on a web page and it did appear to be 1.75mm but I have no idea how accurate the scale is on my monitor.. I am going to give the Oddsocks paper and pencil trick a go and see how I get on..

You need to measure the distance between 6 consecutive lines, not 5... the first line is Zero.

So across 6 lines equals 5 thread pitches.

I am sure you will find it is 1.75 pitch.

All the Best.

Thats why I mis-calculated the first time last night, only measured across five and got the wrong answer, realized my mistake and got it right the second time...

Archived