NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ED80 EP's

Spoon

It depends how much you are intending to spend and how wide you intend going. It seems to me though that most of what you need is in the 1 1/4" camp unless you are going for ethos. Ypu might want a 24mm but I would go up above the 19mm first up to about 4mm thats where your most useful viewing will be done  around the 4-12mm mark

Are you interested in high power eyepieces, low power / wide field or a set to cover all uses with the ED80 ?.

I see you already have a 32mm and an 19mm in the 1.25" fitting. A 32mm in the 2" fitting would give you a wider field of view than the 1.25" can and thats the principle benefit of the larger format.

A 10mm eyepiece might be useful but that can be a 1.25" one. 

An idea of your budget would be helpful too as they can range massively in price of course  :smiley:

more sort of wide field to be honest, i have a 32mm 1.25", and thats done me well up until now, but i recently went to portugal, to an observatory with a 20" ritchey-cretin scope which used 2" EP's, and i must say M51 was just magical in that scope, no details missed. As soon as i saw that 2" EP's had a massive FOV i said to myself that i needed one, so here i am.

My budget range is up to £130, i dont want a massively amazing one just yet.

I'm afraid no eyepiece is going to make your ED80 remotely rival the view through a 20" scope, but I guess you know that !  :smiley:

There nothing magical about 2" eyepieces - they just enable a wider view than a 1.25" in the same focal length. You might want to try something like a Skywatcher 38mm Panaview which costs £89.00. That will show you over 4 degrees of sky at around 16x magnification which, under a dark sky, will show large deep sky objects like M31 (the Andromeda Galaxy) and the Pleiades star cluster nicely.

M51 is going to look small and fuzzy still though, I'm afraid.

Archived