Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Noob with a few questions

This is my story.... Im in the Militay, (US) and my last deployment in Afghanistan I remember one night  seeing somthing, It was a very long group of starts. I really beleive I was looking at a Galaxy. It streached accross the whole sky. One of the British Soldiers I was with was saying its a fun hobby and let me use his spotting scope. It was amazing. I was looking at the moon and it was nothing like I ever seen before. He was a sniper. During the night when we didnt have anything hitting us, we would take some Bino's and star gaze while smokeing cigars. I really enjoyed it. Im 1 year from retiring from the militay and I want to start this as a hobby.

I talked to my wife and convinced her to get me a XT10G for my birthday ($1299 US Dollars), After watching you tube videos, I will also buy a lazer collimator. Ive never did it before but it looks similar to caliberating a Motar system.

These are my questions, I guess the best eyepieces are made by Tele Vue? I looked at the cost and some of them cost more than my hand guns. anyway, what would you sugest for a better than average eyepiece set? The XT10G comes with a 28mm and a 12.5mm with a retical in it. I would like to look at every planet I can (neptune maybe)and also the Nebulas. I want to look at every Messir object. I really love this stuff. Money is and is not a factor. I dont see myself spending $270 + dollars for 1 eyepiece. Any sugestions.

Filters,  which ones who you guys/ lads suggest?

Nest question, Spotter scope. Do I nead a 9x50 one or will a red dot type work fine?

Upgrade.... Any DIY upgrade for a xt10g would you guys suggest?

Just want to end this with as an Americal Soldier, I really appreciate all the help the Brits gave us. I consider them all brothers.

Hello there

Yes Televue make excellent eyepieces. If you don't fancy spending that kind of money, I'd suggest the explore scientific range (except the 70* range). They perform excellently and are very good value for money.

Your prospective buy is a Goto, so a finder is less important than non Goto, but is always recommend a correct image one. Apart from showing the sky as it is, it's easier on the back.

Download stellarium or cartes du ciel onto your computer or maybe skysafari onto your phone, these software packages are invaluable for deciding where to look and what to look for

10" of aperture is an excellent size, you will be treated to many beautiful sights.

Good luck and clear skies

Barry

Hi there, and welcome to SGL, really good that you are getting a decent scope, you should be able to see a lot with that - very capable!  On the upgrades, I would wait awhile and use what comes with the scope, and get used to it, pointing it and so on.  It's quite a big scope and getting used to it first will serve you in good stead.  I agree, the Tele Vues are the best eyepieces out there, good to start out with the best, however, the Explore Scientific 82 series are also very good and much cheaper, often the same lens arrangement as the TV's, this is the route I have gone down on as I can't afford the TV's. A 9x50 RACI (right-angled, correct image) finder like the Orion which I have will also be of great benefit.  On filters, if your interest also reaches to nebulae, then the UHC and OIII fiters would be good for this pursuit, I recommend the Lumicon or Astronomik if your budget stretches to these.  Last of all, good luck in your new found hobby.

If your dob is a fast one (low f number like 4 or 5) , i suggest you buy eyepieces after good research only. Televues,  maxvisions, explore scientifics seem to be well enough corrected to work in a fast dobsonian. What I found out that for example hyperions arent. Also to make things easier for eyepieces, get a televue barlow. They seem to work miracles and dont cost as much as televue eyepieces. 

I used to look up at the stars whilst in Afghanistan. The sky is amazing in the summer. Every night is a clear night and the Milky Way is always visible. Shame about what's going on down on the ground to really concentrate on the skies.

Hi JYB and welcome to SGL :)

That group of stars crossing the whole sky that you saw was most likely the Milky Way (our home galaxy). It is indeed an amazing sight. I've never set up a mortar but a laser collimator is a popular and effective tool to use to set up a telescope. It's quick and pretty accurate though some people prefer other methods. Basically you will be aligning all the optics with it to get maximum performance from the mirrors and eyepieces.

The Orion dobs are well regarded and a ten inch one will keep you amazed by the sky for several years to come. I like both red dot finders as well as refracting finder scopes. But I can recommend a raci (right angle correct image) finder just so you don't have to bend at awkward angles to look through a "straight through" one.

Another useful tool is an adjustable stool or ironing chair. It's easier and much more relaxing to observe whilst seated and again saves constant bending to get your eye on the eyepiece. As far as eyepieces go it's very much a personal choice. No two people sees the same so what suits one doesn't suit another.

Your scope will come with a couple of eyepieces to get you going - practise with them first - and join a local astro society and go observing with them. You'll find folks will make eyepiece suggestions and offer you a look using pieces from their collection. Try before you buy is always a good idea with eyepieces so you learn what you personally get on best with. You'll also learn what fits in your budget.

Other than that - download Stellarium and/or Cartes du Ciel as suggested - both dead useful for learning the constellations and whats up and when. Over a year or so you'll learn how the sky moves with the seasons. A useful book is the "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders". It has many objects, how to find them, and example sketch or photo illustration so you have an idea of what to expect. Tip - get the spiral bound one which opens out easier when you're observing.

Hope that helps - don't hesitate with further questions - and good luck :)

In addition to a laser collimator I would buy a cheshire. They dont cost much and they reveal some collimation issues a laser wont. Lasers are good for quick collimation in the dark, but they do not reveal rotational errors in secondary mirrors. 

Archived