NexStar 127SLT or 4SE

Hi all,

I posted on the equipment forum yesterday advising that it looks like my little ETX 80 is going to be binned due to a faulty motor so I've been looking at alternatives and I believe I've settled on one of these scopes need I have to replace it.  Just to make you are, this is what I need;

A scope that has views comparable to my ETX 80 and the ability to help develop my AP that I'm tinkering around with (nothing major, just solar system objects and using Registax so it's early days plus I'm using a modded webcam).

I believe the 4SE has a good tripod but how is the FOV compared with the 127?  I'm hoping that it's slightly better which would be nice as the ETX has great open views.  I also believe the 127 is excellent for planetary objects but lacking on DSO's due to the type of scope.  Is the 4SE any better in this regard?

A pros and cons from folk who have the above scopes would be really helpful if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you wish to have a telescope with similar views to your ETX80 you might want to consider something like the Celestron 130SLT ot the Skywatcher AZ-Goto 130. The $SE and SLT127 have quite long focal lengths (1325 & 1500) so are going to be more suited the planetary/lunar work rather than wide field. You can compare the FOV of the three telescopes by using this calculator http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm . You may need to switch the calculator from imaging to visual to see the results.

If you want a crack at planetary imaging go for the 127. Apparture counts even with planetary imaging as it gives better resolution. The motors are the same in both mounts although the celestron software is a little better and there are ways to steady up the tripod on the 127. The increased apparture doesn't hurt for visual work either. The mak doesn't have the same wide view as the meade but neither will it have the ca on the higher magnifications you will need for planetary imaging. Don't forget you will need to buy or make a dew shield for the mak

I had  an ETX80 go the same way. I took the ota out, cut off the fork mounts, fitted a dovetail so can go on a camera tripod and make a great little holiday scope.

I'm now using it as a guide scope, so no need to bin there is life in it yet. The other option is to take apart, disable the gear train and use it as a little manual dob.  

Archived