NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

pentax or nikon?

jetstream

Which binoculars would be a good choice for astronomy?This is a gift for my aunt who is interested in viewing,but with no experience.I saw the Pentax pcf wp II 12x50's on the net....any good?the observing area will have a lot of light pollution,is the exit pupil too big on these?

Thanks

Hi Gerry.  I'm wondering how old your aunt is, and how fit she is ?  I think I'd be wary of getting something too large & heavy, and hard for her to use.

!2 x 50's should have about 4mm exit pupil, that would be ok for most.

All the best in your search, Ed.

I have the Nikon Action EX 8x40 CF Binoculars, very nice indeed.

Available here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Action-EX-8x40-Binocular/dp/B0001HKIJK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387487140&sr=1-2&keywords=nikon+action+ex+binoculars

Watch the price though, I got mine for £116.99, now the price has jumped to £170.99!

Hi Gerry.  I'm wondering how old your aunt is, and how fit she is ?  I think I'd be wary of getting something too large & heavy, and hard for her to use.

!2 x 50's should have about 4mm exit pupil, that would be ok for most.

All the best in your search, Ed.

She is 66 yrs old,with health issues but is still mobile/active.What would be an appropriate maximum size?I was almost thinking of the small Canon IS pair=30mm,but maybe too small

I have the Nikon Action EX 8x40 CF Binoculars, very nice indeed.

Available here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Action-EX-8x40-Binocular/dp/B0001HKIJK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387487140&sr=1-2&keywords=nikon+action+ex+binoculars

Watch the price though, I got mine for £116.99, now the price has jumped to £170.99!

Jonathan,I'm not familiar with the Nikon thses days,my own old pair is the Pentax DCF wpII- 8x42's,but roofs that kill a bit of light.does that exit pupil you use work OK in city skies?

Jonathan,I'm not familiar with the Nikon thses days,my own old pair is the Pentax DCF wpII- 8x42's,but roofs that kill a bit of light.does that exit pupil you use work OK in city skies?

It does, I think 5mm is a perfect balance between good for dark skies and city skies, anything less or more is more suited to one or the other. If that makes any sense :rolleyes:

Can these also be mounted on a tripod-is it threaded for the adapter(mount)?

They can indeed be mounted, you just need a standard L bracket, like this one. (Or something similar, the L-bracket I linked to will give you a Vixen Dovetail to mount)

It has instructions in the manual, but you basically unscrew the Nikon button at the front of the middle of the binoculars, and just screw the L-Bracket screw into there, works very well (convenient stand too!) :).

I would just add that you need to account for your aunt's eyesight-does she need to wear glasses while viewing? From what I can see on the Internet the Pentax have 20mm of stated eye relief and the 12x50 Nikons 16mm. It is a personal thing but 16 mm might be not enough for her to use properly. There is a good review of the Pentax PCF WP II and Nikon AE 12x50 binoculars at- http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3674956/Main/3673722

As for mounting to a tripod I would recommend something like- http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/binocular/red-dot/tripod-bracket2.html While they are out of stock I have found them available and cheaper on the Internet.

Cheers,

Steve

Well I ended getting a pair of Pentax PCF WPII 8x40 for $115.00 + Saturday (Dec 21) shipping $8.95 and also a Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas for my aunt. Now for a tripod/mount(?)-those brackets look great-not sure what I can get here yet-that bino to Vixen looks great as does the other.So tripods....?

Thanks

Archived