Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newcomer looking for first scope recommendations

I want to see: Galaxies, Nebula, Constellations, Star Clusters
I would also like to view Planets and their satellites however I've heard you get certain views for certain scopes.
I have been recommended Dobsonian Skywatcher Skyliner 150.
I have a budget of around £200
Thank you for any help!

(sorry for double post realised it was in wrong place)

Hi, a 6" dobsonian is a great way to start visual observation.

If you can Get One used or strecth your budget consider a 8" though- it will show much more regarding deep sky.

A small example what can be seen under really dark skies and observing for a longer time - http://clarkvision.com/visastro/m51-apert/

A 6-8" dobsonian is pretty universal, planets and deepsky can be viewed nicely with the right eyepieces, and most money goes into the optics as the mount is simple and cheap yet stable.

Be aware that if you can't see the milky way from your location and if street lights or neighbor's bright windows iluminate your back yard, you may have to travel to some place truly dark.

The larger telescopes can only be transported with a car, perhaps a bike hanger...

So if portability is an isse that would change the choices to a smaller telescope (heritage 130p, 4 or 5" maksutov on tripod, or small refractor), or require more money (ultra light travel telescope).

Hi Kencko and welcome to SGL :)

My recommendation if you've never looked through a telescope before is to join your local astronomy club and pop along when they go out observing on a clear night. You might have to travel a short distance to wherever their local dark site is located.

You'll get a good idea of how big scopes are, what the different types of scopes do best, how telescopes are mounted and moved around the sky, and a good indication of what fits into your budget. You'll also get a feel for what's involved in taking a telescope out for observing. A lot of beginners don't realise they'll be mostly standing in a field in the middle of nowhere in the cold of winter for 3-4hrs at a time during an average session.

Yes a 150P is good starter scope - that's what I started the hobby with. But do get to look at, and through, one first - you won't regret it. Enjoy the forum! :)

The recommendation appears failry accurate, it will show the items listed.

Be 110% aware of the big restriction = Imaging is not an option. People get the occasional image, usually the Moon but not with any consistancy or regularity.

The other point to bring up is that you will soon want extra eyepieces and at some time a collimator.

Agree with Ron that the dobsonian type of scope (the 'dobsonian' bit refers to the mount) will provide you with the best value scope for your money as nearly all of it goes into the mirror rather than fancy Goto etc. As a consequence this will mean that you can afford a larger diameter mirror for your bucks and although the suggested scope of 150mm is a good performer, having a bit more aperture (light=information) namely the next size up (8" or 200mm) will help you resolve a lot more detail. However, it is only fair at this point to make you aware that there exists an incurable condition amongst astronomers none as 'aperture fever' (I am a sufferer :grin: ) whereby the astronomer is never satisfied with the amount of light they can collect with their existing scope and secretly covets more and more aperture - so you have been warned!  :grin:  :grin:. Putting this affliction to one side, it's my view that 8" of aperture is when observing starts to become really interesting because you starting to resolve sufficient detail to sustain your interest in observing. The SkyWatcher 200P is the U.K's best selling scope and for good reason because it can provide some really good views for a modest budget, is easy to transport to a dark site and is easy to set up. Should you later find that astronomy is not for you or more likely that you may want to upgrade further, then the popularity of this particular scope will help you secure a better resell value which is not necessarily going to be the case with the smaller aperture choices that are out there. Food for thought.

Wishing you clear skies for now and lets us know what you decide to get. To be honest you won't go wrong with any scope from one of the main manufacturers but the 200p will stave off that 'fever' for a little bit longer!  :grin:

James

Archived