Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first telescope

A starter refractor, the weakness may lie with your eyepieces if they are Kelners. Also, I understand there is a 3x Barlow lens. That may overload the mag a bit. Perhaps you yourself will be a better judge when you come to use the scope.

Try it on the moon, which is obviously a large target, and bright enough to make life easy for you whilst testing your eyepieces with and without the Barlow lens in place. If the image deteriorates at high magnifications, then simply do not use the combinatrions that produce the poor results. Bear in mind that seeing condition play a large part in a telescopes performance, so don't judge too quickly. Do these tests over a couple of weeks to give it a chance to a valid exercise. If you get consistent bad performance. Get your money back

Good Luck

Ron. :D

It was my christmas present. I asked for a telescope and got this. I have looked at the moon although havent played with the different eye pieces yet as I dont understand lol. I'm reading through some books and started to get it all I just need a few clear nights now to practice!

This 70mm refractor will give good views of the Moon, and satisfactory views of the planets. It should also perform well on brighter DSOs and clusters.

If you got the eyepieces I saw advertised with it (H20, H12, and SR4) I would consider replacing them with Plossls as soon as practicable. I would suggest a Plossl 32, a 20, and a 12. With the supplied Barlow, this will give you a range of 28x, 45x, 56x, 75x, 90x and 150x. If you have to wait for Budget reasons, get the 12, then the 32, then the 20, and then throw away the old eps. You will never sell them. You will probably want to replace the Barlow eventually, too.

You will do most of your stargazing at lower powers, i.e. 90 and below. This is where a lot of amateur astronomy is done. I have somewhat larger scopes than yours, and usually observe at about 125x, not the 21x and 300x that my scopes are capable of.

The SR4 will seriously overpower your scope, and you won't be able to see through it clearly anyway. The only reason it is supplied with your scope is so they can make the spurious claim of 450 power.

You will be able to sell the Plossls with the scope as an extra added feature when you decide to move up, or sell it with the original eps, and keep the Plossls for your next scope.

Hope this helps.

Archived