Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope balance issue.

just wanted to know or if you know of any balance issue with the Dob telescopes and large EP's and if you did , how you got around the problem equaling the balance out.

What it is. I'm new to astronomy and I have a 200p dob telescope, I have got two EP's ( vixen LVW 8mm&13mm ) which are quite hefty in size and wight . I was told I could get balancing issue's with them and might have to equal it out. So if any one has had to modify their base for a Dob telescope , I would be grateful for some advice on how to modify mine .

Thanks.

Jason.

I find adding some weight to the back (mirror) end of the scope works for me. In my case I've attached one of those magnetic knife racks to the top side of the tube using double sided sticky pads and use either a 1lb or 2lb iron kitchen weight on it, depending how heavy the eyepiece is.

Here is a photo of the bottom end of the scope with the 1 lb weight on the rack. I've added the short screws you can see sticking up from the rack near the center and at the bottom end to stop the weight sliding around. These racks cost under £5 from e.Bay:

post-118-0-28407200-1387061735_thumb.jpg

I purchased a medium size divers weight belt with pouches to fit  around the end of my tube on my 10" dob!,  As i have a foam wrap around my tube to stop dew problems!, when fitted I can pop weights accordingly into the pouches to use  my 2" televue nagler lens to balance my scope out, :grin:

Archived