Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory

I have the chance to build a 3 x 2 Mts shed and would like to make the roof removable so I could point my scope through,how would I get the roof to ether slide or roll but I am looking for detailed advice on how I could do this.any advice please.

Hi if you look at my astro shed in my gallery I had a slide of design I have now changed it to hinge design on both sides where one overlaps the other. I've never had any problems. If you need photos with more detail id gladly take some show you. I also added a warm room that was easily the best thing I ever did and strongly recommend iit.look forward to seeing your build.

Hi yeah never had problem with leaks also we had v high winds no problem. I use turnbuckles on the inside to hold the roof down just incase.i get some photos taken tomo and upload them for you. Alot of the inside is insulated so unfortunately won't be able show much detail on hingeffastening but I used 4 5 inch hinges each side that were welded and bolted to the frame as the roof is actually light 1 inch steel box framework. I use a pulley system on theinside to raise it although I can use a handle I also fitted but I thought I fit ppulley as I gonna get to old to be pulling the roof back over.it works well I have fit a weighted counterbalance to it after Christmas but its not really needed.

If u have room for a small warm room id highly recommend one its so much better im a toasty 24 degrees in there and everything is now controlled from the warm room. Obviously visual viewing its time to grab your coat and hat.

If u have room for a small warm room id highly recommend one its so much better im a toasty 24 degrees in there and everything is now controlled from the warm room. Obviously visual viewing its time to grab your coat and hat.

Paul

What sizes are the 2 rooms in your observatory.

I've built a few of these things in varying degrees of complexity.

Breeze block with warm room. Roof and sides roll over warm room with bed. This can house a 20 inch imaging scope.

ROLLING%203-M.jpg

yves%20west-M.jpg

Much smaller and lower, this one's all wood in construction and is not of standing height when closed. There is a pod for the computer to keep the main structure small.

TAK%20WEST-M.jpg

TAK%20BAY%20IN-M.jpg

TAK%20BAY%20OUT-M.jpg

The smallest system of all is the fully rolling 'sentry box' which can double as a warm room when rolled off, especially if you use a pier rather than a tripod, Here's one in the process of being re-clad. If you look on the DIY observatories section SInglin made a great version of this using a proprietory chalet style shed on a rolling base. It's much better than mine here but you can see the idea. What I didn't think of at the time was that, if you make your own rolling base with a slot cut out for a pier, you don't need a steel chassis such as the one I made for this. Even a plastic shed would be sound.

3-M.jpg

Olly

Archived