Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TAL-120

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which also points to "my" TAL-120 being older than 2001...

Yup.

I've got a Tal2m which is a yr2000 version and it came with the MKII 25mm plossl & 15mm Kellner.

Not sure when production first started on the 120's. But yours, I reckon, is in the second half of the 90's, maybe pushing to '00 at the latest.

But that's all a guesstimation.

Hope the skies clear soon for you to give it a good workout.

Andy.

I was able to withdraw the whole focuser/spider assembly intact by removing secondary mirror first:

IMG_7719.jpg

Corrective lens is in absolutely perfect condition (now that I can examine it).

The only thing to work out is how to remove eyepiece/rack tube for shimming... (hopefully without using mole grips and brute force :grin: )

So the corrector(for want of a better term) assembly is tight in the base of the focuser? I was hoping it would be secure but easily removable. ie: once the focusers x2 screws were removed, it could be carefully jiggled off, leaving the corrector/diagonal assembly in the scope.

Andy.

There is a rectangular bit at the base of focuser (assuming we are talking about the same thing?), but removing it doesn't do anything, since afaik you have to withdraw rack/eyepiece tube downwards (ie towards the centre of the scope) and that is prevented by the corrector lens.

No, you cannot remove the pinion with the rack in place - at least afaik - I have tried but didn't succeed ...

Corresponding view of my focuser:

IMG_7722.jpg

The "puzzling" screws at the bottom appear to hold a block of metal (two large ones) and the third one (small grub screw in the middle) appears to be belt and braces screw to secure glued corrector/spider assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

For now I have sorted out the problem with a piece of (plastic) shim material inserted between the eyepiece tube and focuser body:

IMG_7743.jpg

It stays in place fine, everything works smoothly (no doubt helped by low friction of plastic shim material) and the only issue is long term longevity, but I am hoping it will be fine.

So, with secondary collimated, focuser sorted out, I only needed weather to test it...

However Metcheck.com was telling me NO chance tonight :sad:, so imagine my surprise when I looked out of the window around 5pm - clear sky (in between clouds) and perfectly visible moon.

Now was the chance for 120 to prove that it is "grab and go" :grin:  and so it was - five minutes later everything was out and given few minutes to rapidly cool down I was able to play at long last.

First 8mm, than 6mm, followed by 5mm and eventually 4mm eyepiece - all of them working great and better than I could have hoped for, including resolving a tiny star just on the edge of moon (which I couldn't even find in Stellarium, but perhaps it was me and my inability to use Stellarium?)

With 4mm giving x200 and working beautifully I was very happy customer - it was first time that I was able to use this eyepiece so successfully!

It was definitely a bonus evening :smiley:

Archived