Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar 100 - a few more objects observed

Mark at Beaufort

I started to observe the Lunar 100 list nearly 4 years ago and have slowly been able to view though the list. Clearly I am now approaching some of the more difficult objects.

Back in the Summer I purchased a Skywatcher 180mm Mak/Cass and together with binoviewers the views are fantastic. Tonight the sky was clear so I attempted to view the craters Armstrong, Collins and Aldrin. These are small craters and I have not been successful on previous attempts with other scopes. Well, armed with the 180 Mak/Cass and 15mm EPs in the binoviewers I am pleased to say that I was successful. I was also able to view the rilles in the crater Janssen so I have now viewed 80 of the 100 objects.

Could not resist a look at Venus and again the views through the Mak/Cass was fantastic - this is a great planetary and lunar scope.

Sounds a wonderful scope Mark  :smiley:

Congratulations on ticking off some more Lunar 100's. I must take a more systematic approach to my observing  :rolleyes2:

I've been taking a peek at the Moon myself this evening. Nothing too taxing though. I was having a good look at the craters Messier and Messier A which are one of my favourite lunar targets. I find the theories on their formation fascinating and examining them at 300x tonight (12" dob) they were really interesting despite their relatively full illumination. I was able to make out the dark streaks that run down the centre of Messier rather like tyre tracks and I think are also present in Messier A although that one was full of shadow this evening. 

Really interesting pair of craters I think :smiley:

Just did some casual observing of the moon myself. There was no room left in my brain to count lunar features and put names on them, but the sharpness in the Heritage 130 coupled with that pentax was something to behold, that's all I needed to wet my appetite for the bigger scope and darker sky later on.

Must get started again with a more serious approach on the moon and  start ticking off that lunar 100, 10/100 for me is not  a great count so far now is it :D

Archived