NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

set-up time for an EQ mounted scope

Hi

A quick question: how long (roughly) would it take to set up a telescope like <a href="http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/detail.php?id=109">this</a> from a "standing start" (ie set up tripod and mount, attach OTA, polar align it)

Are we talking several days / hours / minutes, or what? (assuming some familiarity with how it works....I guess the very first time might take a while! :D)

(Thinking that if I had some equipment like this I'd be unable to leave it set up anywhere, and so would have to put it up / take it down for each observing session. Is that going to be impractical?)

thanks in advance

Ian

Ian,

This is a similar set up to mine and I can set it up in about 10-15 minutes - includes a reasonable polar alignment for visual observation. I have mine in the corner of the lounge. I take the weights and OTA off then take the mount outside and polar align (I know where the tripod legs go from marks on the ground). I then put the weights on and the OTA (in that order) and balance it. I then get the power pack and plug it in and grab the eye piece case - all about 10-15 minutes I reckon. To pack it all up takes about 5 minutes.

hope that helps

cheers

Sam

I have a 250mm on an heq5 mount which sits in the summer house at the bottom of the garden,in front of it is 3 patio slabs facing north,also 3 marks where the tripod legs should go,i leave the ota on the mount and also leave the weights on so all i have to do is pick it up (its heavy) and move it about 8 ft to the slabs,then polar align,plug in power pack and i'm in business and all of which should take no longer that 5 mins,would be at least double if i had everything separate but i'm lucky i dont have far to carry the scope so can leave everthing on.

I concur with the responses already given for the setup time :D

Depending on the type of scope and where it is stored some cool down time will also be needed as part of setup. The longest cool down times seem to be needed by maksutov cassegrains which can need 60-90 minutes before the images start to look good.

John

Archived