NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sun In White Light 07-13-2013. 13:15

Steve Ward

Still coming to grips with the new toy , sorted the barlow ( hacksawed 10mm off the nosepiece to give a little 'wiggle-room' ...   :p  ) added a Continuum and replaced the ND3.0 with a variable polarising filter.

Need to sort the flats side next , too small a window today though.

Can't see much difference to the ND3.8 with the Canon , hoping that close-ups with the SPC900 will be better , time will tell , just need a couple of clear hours to play in ....  :rolleyes:

P7-12-13_zpsdf56fd2a.png

1000D + ED80Pro + Scopium Wedge + Continuum.

1/800s @ ISO 100 , 25/100 , Reg 5.1 , Gimp 2.8.

Day by day album ... http://www.astrobin.com/users/steveward53/

Very nice, Steve  :smiley:  Lovely intricate AR near the centre  :laugh:.

I can't see a step up yet either from the ND3.8, but looks good and hopefully it will go up a level as you get up to speed. I guess your DSLR has a UV/IR block filter?

I gave up waiting here today, hope there might be a gap or two tomrrow. Weekends have generally been rubbish for ages here :eek:

Thank you both for the kind comments ...  :smiley:

Luke , I'm guessing that I need the Baader UV-IR Cut filter to really get the best from the wedge/Continuum combo ... ?

Alexandra , I'm still trying to get rid of the darkening at the top of the frame , flats should do the trick but i just need to get some clean ones , in trying to lessen the effect in processing I kill the overall limb darkening .... :embarassed:  

Want a good clear couple of hours to play up close , I may end up using the wedge on the ST120 with the SPC900 Mono and stick with the ND3.8 on the ED80 and the 1000D for the discs , will be a lot easier and quicker to switch over while I'm elevated so's to speak , and when I'm back on terra firma I can mount both side by side on the HEQ5Pro and with the SW Guidescope mount to align the pair I can shoot video and stills simultaneously ...  :p

Luke , I'm guessing that I need the Baader UV-IR Cut filter to really get the best from the wedge/Continuum combo ... ?

I wasn't sure if your DSLR would block the IR or not?

I need to use the UV/IR cut with my webcam and ED80 (without it, the image is fuzzy!), but my ED120 is fine without it. As far as I know, it's because the 120 has a Schott glass element that cuts the IR naturally.

Forgot to say, I'm sure I read something from Baader saying about using the UV/IR block with the continuum. I found this text from a product description:

"For digital imaging, we also recommend the Continuum filter be combined with our UV/IR Cut Filter (to completely cut the defocused far infrared wavelengths)."

Unless it has been modded your Canon will have an IR/UV cut filter, but a second one wouldn't hurt.

I think I can see a little more detail in surfacec around the sunspots with the wedge, so a little bit of time fiddling with settings should improve the result again. Still looking very good and I think the wedges are easier to use than the film.

No sun up here all weekend. It was partially sunny on Friday, but I had a 200 mile trip to make so didn't pack my gear.

Robin

Archived