Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Raspberry Pi ?

fwm891

I mean, unfiltered camera don't usually come cheap. This one is 25$ !

I'm just an astro enthusiast, but was wondering if there would be anything interesting to do/develop with this combo ?

Planetary imaging in general. Add the price or Raspberry Pi and a price of external HDD or very big and write-effiecient SD card.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My recollection from looking at the Pi cameras is that they are almost certainly not sufficiently sensitive for astro use.  I'm not at all sure if the camera interface exposes enough of the controls one would want for an imaging camera either.

To be honest, not having an IR filter is no big deal for a lot of high frame rate imaging (which is not to say that there aren't times when IR imaging is useful).  I always used an IR filter with my colour planetary cameras, and with the mono I'm using RGB and L filters that will all cut the IR as well.

James

Other route would be rare nowadays UMPC computers that actually run Win XP or newer in a 5"-7" size. Or tablets with x86 CPU and Windows.

post-5460-0-24285500-1401910820.png

Atom Z515/ 1.2GHz

DDR II-800MHz 1G

1.8'' SSD 16G

5'' SHARP WSVGA 1024×600 with multiple touch screen

Archived