NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Exact Polar Alignment required?

Bathurst

Hi all, I've got a Sony a350 to play around with and last time out I took some fairly decent pics of the Moon, but when trying Orions Nebula/longer exposure I found the streaking stars syndrome. I've done as much digging as possible but cannot find if I need to acquire exact polar alignment or just stick with Polaris? (EQ2 Mount)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, gonna try again tonight!

ok thanks, I did think so but needed it confirming :p

30seconds is the most this camera can handle but I dont expect to be doing those just yet, I am finding Polar Alignment a bit tricky regardless of the camera as my 50 degree latitude setting on the mount points nowhere near Polaris as it is!!

Ok I think I succeeded last night, managed a few good shots so will stack them later.

Couldn't seem to get Jupiter shot very well though so will seek advice on that too.

Tell you one thing it's not easy is it !?! the EQ2 is a pain to get bang on the NCP then you need to take into account the weight of the camera and then the speed of the motor...!!

• 4 months later...

Having another crack at this tonight after not touching the camera since last time, anyone got any tips or is there anything to buy that aids Polar Alignment with an EQ2 Mount?

I've got no chance of affording a better mount at all (holiday to pay for!) so need to get the most from this one for the time being, thanks

Archived