55mm Televue Plossl : Worth while with C8 ?

Space Hopper

I'm with you there Mark. The views are indeed remarkable.

I can certainly recommend the Baader Maxbright. They use GPCs so you don't need to spend mega bucks on lots of eyepieces. My 19Pans & 13Nags cover everything I need.

Michael, the 25Tv Plossls have very good eye relief at 17mm and work very well in a Baader Maxbright.

Why spend a fortune on Ethos Delos etc when you can use both eyes ? The Maxbright is great value at under £200uk

I can't recommend them enough.....

I have two excellent MaxVision 24mm 68 deg EP, close to Panoptic in performance (certainly at F/10 and beyond). However, 24mm is hardly good on planets (I use 7-12mm there) Plossls of those focal lengths have horrible eye relief (5.6-9.6mm).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Michael....the shorter focal length Plossels are like that.

I don't use anything shorter than my N13s with a choice of 3 different GPCs for Lunar / Planetary.

I love the views the Maxbright gives. It's given my visual astronomy a whole new lease of life.

I have two excellent MaxVision 24mm 68 deg EP, close to Panoptic in performance (certainly at F/10 and beyond). However, 24mm is hardly good on planets (I use 7-12mm there) Plossls of those focal lengths have horrible eye relief (5.6-9.6mm).

With an SCT, the increased length in the optical path that binoviewers produce has quite an effect on focal length. I don't use anything below 15mm EPs for my lunar and planetary observing. You won't need short fl eyepieces.

I have 18mm BCO with the three GK (1.25x, 1.7x and 2.6x) to cover most mags (my barlows can be added too for more combinations).

maybe a pair of MV24mm and XF 12mm + 1.25x and 1.7x GK can be your alternative?

Archived