Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Buying first scope

Hi all

I have a chance of getting either a Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145p Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope or a Celestron Astro master 130EQ

- both have good reviews and my (uneducated) opinion is there is not much between them - anyone have advice on which mat be better for a 1st timer?

I'm in Fife, looking to get my first scope, interested in star/planet gazing.

Cheers

David

Both are good beginners telescopes, the astromaster should be slightly better because of the larger primary mirror. Allot of people are not happy with the design of rhe finderscope on the astromaster though. The Skywatcher 130/650 uses the same optics as the astromaster and has a better finderscope.

Hi there, purely on the grounds of a slightly larger aperture, I think the Astromaster 130 EQ scope will give you more pleasing views which will be brighter and more defined than the 114mm.  At f/5 it is a pretty fast scope and should give a good rich field.  A great starter scope but I have heard that the fixed starpointer is not up to much.

• I was leaning towards the Astro master but the price I can get the Skywatcher for means I think I'm going for that as I am on a budget and I think it will still be ok - thanks for taking the time to look and respond, cheers

David

Archived