NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SKYLINER-200 203mm (8") f/1200 Parabolic Dobsonian

in a word no. If you want several words its the wrong sort of mount. Its a great scope and with a great deal of skill can be used for webcamming and maybe dslr on the moon but if you want to take exposures of any length its wrong as you will not be able to track accurately with it and even if by some miracle you managed to manually track an object steadily enough not to blur a long exposure you would get field rotation. If you want do long exposure work you need a motorised tracking mount and it needs to be an equatorial mount. I would recommend this book before you spend any of your hard earned on astrophotography it may save you a bit of money in the long term http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

The equivalent Skywatcher 8" on a mount is also called the 200p.

Make sure you see one in the flesh before purchasing.

They are massive.

And the assembly weighs in at around 30kg.

I was going to get one of those for visual observing,

But becasue I didn't want to take photo's, I got the cheaper, lighter, simpler, easier to use dobsonian instead.

Try to get to a local astronomy club meeting or a club event to ask questions.

They should be able to give you a warm welcome, and out your mind at rest about which gear is best for you.

If imaging is where you want to go don't get sucked into buying a visual setup  and trying to make it something its not. The 200p on an eq5 is a visual set up and most who go down that route usually bite the bullet and get an ed80 on a heq5 or put the 200 on an eq6. We get good weather for imaging in this country so rarely do you really want to waste it by having to throw half your subs away. Get the book and read it before you buy your scope and more importantly mount.

Archived