Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Converting guide adjustments from pixel to arc-seconds?

AndyUK

Hoping someone can help....

I used to use PHD for guiding and was able to then analyse the night's guiding by putting it through PHDLab... and through there I could could switch between guide camera pixel errors and arc-seconds.  I now use Maxim - After each session I save the log file and drop it into a spreadsheet so that I can see what was going on, but I can only seem to analyse it in pixels... There must be a formula for converting the pixel errors to arcseconds, but I drew a blank from Google (or at least I got swamped by infoglut!) - I don't suppose anyone knows the formula, do they?

EDIT:  I think I may have answered my own query - I've found  the switch in Maxim to display in arcseconds in Maxim [Embarrassed!]   I'll just have to see what it records in the log.  However, the formula would still come in handy if anyone has it :smiley:

Arc spec/pix = 206*p(um)/f(mm)

Where p is the pixel size in microns and f is the focl length in mm.

Eg a 5um at 1000mm would approx 1"/pix.

Multiply the pixel guide error by your arcsec/pix and bobs your uncle.

The 206 is related to the number of arc seconds in one radian

Paul

Yup.  There are 206265 arcseconds in one radian.  In Paul's equation above because he has um in the dividend and mm in the divisor there's a factor of 1000 to be accounted for hence his use of 206.

James

I started off recording in 'pixels' at the very beginning and just stuck with these units as the errors are easy to 'visualize' but as you have now found there is a switch that allows you to change the display to arcseconds. MaxIm has so many switches and options - you spend days just diving into the manual!

Archived