NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help noob

I'd also get a range of EP's and barlows to find the best options for different objects as planets, moons and DSO's are all going to require different levels of magnification and then you'll need to tweak again to get the best clarification. Hope this helps

Sam

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I find TV Radians are very nice for planetary with this scope (around £100 s/h) also the Baader Hyperions give nice sharp views (about £65 s/h). And the Panoptic 24mm is outstanding for medium power viewing (but expensive). At the lower end of the scale the Celestron Excels are good and so too are the Meade 4000 series. I dare say the BST's will be good too but I've never tried them - they're very popular in a range of scopes.

Your 40mm is a low power wide angle eyepiece - and quite a nice one for these scopes giving 50x magnification. But you'll no doubt want to be honing in on planetary detail. On a clear night with good transparency - something around 8mm or 10mm will give you exciting stuff to look at on Jupiter (and Saturn when it's a bit higher). This will give you around 200x to 250x - but the seeing really does have to be good. Most of the time I find myself using around 150x to 180x for planets due to UK average seeing. Hth :)

Archived